XLVI

We arrived much earlier then expected, so we were left to linger in the hall. I watched as people walked by, some in tearful fits from their lost trials and some with conniving grins as they pocketed a lump some of money from suing large companies. The only reason why I knew was because they were either sobbing to their lawyers with a red, angry face or loudly boasting, thanking their lawyer and vigorously shaking their hands

When their entourage of people cleared from the halls, my eyes trailed elsewhere, particularly to the large male that accompanied me here. I had to admit, he cleaned up nicely and looked rather sharp in his white button up and tie that I assisted in tying, in which he insisted on wearing. Though he did look handsome and the fitted slacks flit him a bit too well, I had to admit I preferred him in jeans and cowboys boots. He fit in fine but I could tell he was out of his element, pulling the tie away from his neck or messed with the sleeves around his wrists.

"You okay?" I asked and he ceased his moments.

"No, yeah, I'm fine." I gave him a look and he sighed. "Okay, it's a bit tight feeling but I'm just no used to it yet."

"Here." I unbuttoned his sleeves and rolled them up to his shoulders. Placing my hands on the sides of his neck, I pulled his down a bit so I could reach is tie a bit easier, undoing the knot I did earlier. Unbuttoning his top bottom, so it didn't conform to his neck and give him the feeling of choking, I adjusted his collar and soothed it down. "There."

"Thank you." He stayed bent for a few moments longer before straightening again. He looked much better like this, more relaxed and sure of himself.

"You're welcome." I folded his tie as best as I could before putting it in my smaller purse, holding on to it for later. At sound of heels clacking loudly against the wooden floor, I looked up and instantly tense, stander taller as a natural instinct, something she always nagged at me about.

Of course she stomped her foot probably as loud as she could, making sure she gained everyone's attention. She was always like that, one who oozed confidence which was back by wealth and demanded everyone's eyes and appraisal, even though she already knew she was stunning. Both her and the man she was accompanied by were draped in designer clothing, probably custom made. Of course they also adorned in expensive jewelry and she never left the house without the purse and heels of the season. With their backs as straight as a board and their necks held high, they made a beeline towards me.

"Mother. Father." I acknowledged them, my voice void of any sort of emotion.

"Faylyn." My Mother all but snipped back, already talking down upon me. She then eyes the man standing behind me, my support.
"Je vois que tu traînes de l'écume. Je ne peux pas dire que je suis surpris." She turned his nose up at the end of her statement. For how rude she was, she was never one to talk bad about you in front of you, or at least in a language they could understand, which is why she slipped in to French. She's always been able to snuff out people's worth just by looking at them, a nasty talent she had.

"Votre opinion m'importe peu puisque vous n'êtes qu'une chienne choyée." It felt invigorating to finally be able to stand up to her, always afraid to say anything. My father was the same way, a man of few words. He too was afraid of her conniving, vindictive ways. For if he said the wrong thing, she would make sure he'd pay, after all, she did inherit her father's company so all of their money actually belonged to her, even if he did all the work.

Her passive facade dropped, her mouth opening in shock, not believing that I actually had the nerve to speak to her like that. Her empty eyes turned sharp and she gripped my father's arm harder, digging her fake, perfectly manicured claws into his arm. He flinched from the pain but held his tongue like he always did.

"Vous avez toujours été un enfant si difficile. Je n'ai pas été surpris que vous ayez tué quelqu'un. Vous méritez de vous asseoir dans cette cellule comme le psychopathe solitaire que vous êtes. Attendez, vous y serez de retour à la fin." She turned, determined to have the last word but I wasn't having it.

"J'étais un enfant difficile? Vraiment? Je peux parler cinq langues, était le meilleur de ma classe, maîtrisé le piano et j'étais difficile? Comment saurais-tu même si je l'étais? Tu n'as jamais été à la maison et j'ai été élevée par plusieurs nounous différentes. Si quoi que ce soit, vous êtes le plus difficile. Vous vous asseyez sur votre cul et vous vous attendez à ce que tout vous soit remis sur un plateau d'argent, mais savez-vous quoi?" I paused and took a step closer to her, just a few inches taller than her.
"Je suis vraiment désolé pour toi. Tu es impitoyable. Même votre propre mari ne peut pas vous supporter. Vous n'avez pas d'amis et ceux que vous avez ne font que vous utiliser. Et tu sais quoi? La seule chose dans laquelle vous êtes bon est de vous plaindre. La seule chose que vous avez c'est de l'argent et savez-vous quoi? L'argent n'est pas tout et vous apprendrez que lorsque vous êtes assis seul dans votre grande maison vide, divorcé sans vrais amis. "
I was normally never this rude but I was sick of her constant judgement and her dictating my life.
"Au revoir, mère." I didn't bother to stay for her reaction. At some point during our conversation, the courtroom doors had opened and I was eager to get away from my life long tormentors.
"Let's go." I grabbed Maverick's hand and pulled him into the room, making my way to my side of the courtroom and to the front, where my lawyer was unpacking his things.

"You can speak French?" He asked in amazement. "What else can you do?"

"I can also speak German, Spanish and Italian." I wasn't bragging, no, it was strictly informative. I wasn't one to I indulge in my accomplishments but he asked.

"You are amazing." He marveled. "Truly and utterly amazing."