XLV

"I assure you," Mr. Eyler moved his chair back and forth so it moved back and forth slightly behind his large, oak desk. "I have been collected new evidence. We have everything we need to ensure that you maintain your innocence and that she remains in jail."

"But what if she really is mental unstable? Would prison really be the best place for her if she needs help?" He sent me a gentle smile, ceasing his chair turning as he planted his forearms on his desk, leaning towards me.

"Even after everything she's done to you, you still care about her well being." He shook his head. "I will never understand you."

"I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to that."

"You're too kind for your own good." He placed his hand on mind to stop my constant pen clicking. "You put others before yourself, which is noble but can be dangerous." He retreated his hand, taking the pen with him and began to sort through our paper work, writing something down. "You know yourself how intelligent she is. Her lawyer is trying to get her out of her sentencing by claiming insanity. I'm trying to keep her in since I can see through her facade. She's had several psychological evaluations and neither look good for her. I'm using this evidence to keep her in jail, where she belongs. If she is mentally unstable, then I will ensure she gets all the help she needs from inside prison. She doesn't deserve to walk around free."

"I know." I sighed. "I just-"

"You don't want to see the bad in people." He finished for me. "You want to see the good in people even if it isn't there."

"She was my friend for years." I hung my head. "One of my only friends. It's hard to think of her this way."

"I know if must have been devastating to be betrayed by someone you trusted." He sympathized. "Yet, you must remember what she did you to. How she left you to-" He hesitated, rethinking his words. " How she left you to suffer."

"I know." My hands subconsciously moved to shield my stomach, the raised skin could be felt underneath my shirt. The markings of escaped death burned at the calling, at the memory.

"Then you must understand why you mustn't let her deceive you. I've showed you the evidence that I've gathered. The trial is tomorrow and you must put your mind together. As much as it is hard to take in, you must stop thinking as if she is your friend. She was willing to let you go to prison in place of her. She is willing to do everything to get her way. I know you were able to testify to defend yourself last time but are you able to testify against her?"

"I-I can." I sat up straighter in my chair. "I can. I promise."

"Then we're ready for tomorrow." He shuffled his papers into a neat stack before placing back into his folder, later to be placed in his briefcase.

"Thank you." I stood up as did he not a moment later, walking me towards the door. "For everything your done for me."

"Don't get all sentimental on me now." He ruffles my hair in a fatherly way, his smile lines accented by his grin. "We still have to get through tomorrow."

"I know we will." I paused as he opened the door for me. "It'll just be difficult."

"Faylyn." He stopped me from entering the hall, pulling me into a hug. "I just want you to know that you are doing the right thing. You can't let her control you anymore. You need to live your life away from her lies and start a new one."

"I think I found a new life." I pulled back from the hug, looking at his large glasses that covered his warm eyes. "This is just the last step until I can actually start it."

"I'll see tomorrow." Bidding each other goodbye, I met Maverick in the lobby, where he waited for me. He insisted on coming to my other meetings as well in which I didn't have the heart to say no. They were rather boring for him, since they were hours long and he spent his time along in the lobby, yet he insisted on tagging along. For my own sake, it was great that he came along. He often distracted me afterwards, with jokes and just normal conversations. He never asked me what we were discussing, which I was thankful for. Without him there, I would have fought the heavy traffic alone, alone with my thoughts and given time to dwell on the situation.

Though I didn't have to be in court until nine, I was up and moving by six, unable to sleep any longer. That night, I didn't get much sleep. I was either tossing and turning or if sleep did find me, it didn't last long, only to wake up at random hours in the night and then unable to fall back asleep. I couldn't have gotten more than four hours of sleep collectively. I knew that morning I would have dark circles under my eyes so I wasn't surprised when I saw them in the mirror.

Maverick was up and moving by dusk, following his normal routine, one that he will probably never be able to break. He served as my distraction once again, soothing my jumbled nerves as we ate breakfast. He never once commented on my appearance but he tried to joke around a bit more than usual, noticing my nerves.

After cleaning up, I got ready for the day. Knowing I had to fight the work rush hour, I would leave extremely early, just to even get there in time. Throwing on a well fitting but modest, black dress with matching shirt heels, I struggled with my makeup. I was never one to use the stuff but I managed to put on concealer and mascara without too much trouble, just enough to make me look awake. Once I was done, I found Maverick in the kitchen, looking exactly as I saw him last.

"Are you- Are you coming along?" He stood you from his stool, only to stand in front of me.

"Do you want me to come?" He placed his finger beneath my chin, tilting it upwards to I would look him in the eye. "Because I can if you want me to." Be moved his hands to cup my cheeks and I brought mine up to cover his.

"I want you to."

"Okay." He softly smiled and placed a lingering his on my forehead. "Just let me go get dressed."