XXXV

"You're looking better every time I see you." I cooed, petting his blonde coat. His sores has healed up nicely, leaving small scabs. While he gained a lot of weight since he's been here, he was still noticeably underweight. His improvement warmed my heart and after last week's court verdict, I knew he would never experience cruelty again.

Offering him a carrot, he swished his tail excitedly, eager to take the snack. His whiskers tickled my palm and I laughed, giving him a pat on the neck.
A pair of hooves sounded from the entrance of the barn, capturing my attention.

Coming back after a day's work, Maverick, though sweaty, was still as alluring as usual. I couldn't help but appreciate his attractiveness as he led his tall, red steed into the barn. I watched as Maverick led his horse towards me, so I existed the stall and latched the bottom door behind me, leaving the top open. At the sight of Rudolph, my horse's ears stood and I watched as they interacted, nodding their heads up and down. Maverick reached his hand out, rubbing my horse's nose, commenting on his improvement, to which I wholeheartedly agreed.

"You most likely be able to ride him in the next few months. That is, after he's gained all his weight back and his temperament to riding is tested. He seems pretty calm so I don't think it will be an issue." He said, giving his neck a pat before turning towards me, leaving the two horses to interact.

"I'm not so sure about riding." I admitted, shifting my stance. "I've never ridden a horse before."

"It's not so bad, just needs getting used to." He pondered a moment before a smile broke out onto his face. "Would you like to learn?" He straighten up, suddenly much more energetic.

"I would love to but-" I meant to say an excuse but none could come to mind.

"Come on." He grabbed Rudolph's reins again and took a few steps before stopping and looking back at me.

"Where are we going?" I asked, careful to stay away from the horses hind legs as I moved to stand next to Maverick. We then began walking again, passing Rudolph's stall.

"We are going to to teach you how to ride." He grinned at me and I stopped walking.

"Right now?"

"Right now." He nodded, stopping with me.

"I-I dont know-"

"Oh, it'll be fun. I promise you won't fall or anything. Besides, Rudolph's already saddled up and ready to go." He was so enthusiastic that I couldn't say no. I didn't have the heart to wipe the grin from his face.

He led us around to the back of the barn, somewhere is never been before. A fairly large, circular arena was set us, surrounded by fencing. It's placement was hidden from the main house so I had no idea of its existence. Maverick opened a gate and led us through, closing it behind us. 

"You ready?" He asked as he pulled at the straps on the saddle, making sure they were tight. I nodded. I couldn't deny my excitement but it was shrouded by my doubt and judgment, fear intermixing with my emotions.

"Okay." He grinned and motioned me to come closer. He began to adjust something else, which lowered something else. "This is called a stirrup. What you'll do is place your foot into it and grab this," he pointed to a raised section towards the front of the saddle, "which is called the horn. Then, you'll pull yourself up and swing your other leg over and then your on a horse." He still held the reins in his hands but walked towards the other side of the horse.

"Where are you going?" I was afraid he was leaving the ring, leaving me alone to figure this out.

"I'm going to hold the other stirrup down to counter your weight so he remains square. This will help prevent straining his back."

"Oh." I mumbled, pathetic almost.

"Whenever you're ready." He hinted. "Just don't over think it and you'll be fine. I'll be right here." I could see some of his head and his hat from overtop the horse's back.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped forward, placing my foot where I was told before pulling myself up from the horn. Closing my eyes, I swung my leg over and I felt my body balance into the saddle. Slowly, I peered open my eyes.

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Maverick asked from my left and I looked down at him, the same smile had not left his face.

"No." I admitted but gripped the horn tighter. "But it's so high."

"You're not scared of height, are you?" He asked concerned, his eye brows furrowed.

"No, no, just not used to behind this high." Rudolph moved below me and I let out a small gasp, white knuckling the horn.

"He senses your fear. If you relax, he'll relax, okay?" He gave me a second to breath as I tried to loosen up.
"I'm going to hand you the reins. I'll show you how to hold them." He adjusted them in my hands. "Just hold them to the horn and he won't move. I'm going to adjust the stirrups to your feet. This will probably make you feel more comfortable." He moved to either ride of the horse, bringing the stirrups to my feet, which did help ease my fear a bit. He took the reins back.

"Well start slow. We'll just walk around a bit and if your still scared, let me know and we can stop." He looked up at me from in front of the horse, making eye contact. "You ready?" He asked and I nodded.

True to his word, he led the horse around the circle in a slow pace, letting me get used to how the horse moved. I was still scared the first few laps but after a while, I felt myself relaxing. It was then I was able to admire the horse and my surrounding, the leverage allowing me to see more.

"I never did ask how your test went." He turned to look back at me as he continued to guide the horse.

"It went great." He gave me a smile full of appreciation. "Thanks for asking." We continued around the circle and I lost count of how many laps we made.

"You're right." I said, which gained his eyes again. "This isn't so bad."

"Yeah?" He flashed his signature smile, his teeth showing. I smiled back, nodding. "Do you want to try something a little faster?"

"Why not." I agreed. He made a clicking noise with his mouth and started to jog, the horse following his pick up in pace. As the horse settled into a trot, Maverick still jogged beside, keeping the reins.

I could feel a bit of wind playing with the stands of my hair, the cold biting at me cheeks. The movement stirred up the dust that settled in the dirt, forming a brown cloud below me. I closed my eyes, a smile on my lips as I embrace the feeling, the feeling of freedom. He was right, this was fun.

After a few more laps, Maverick slowed us down until he halted, panting. I could see his heavy breathing, the late November cold making his breaths visible. He patted Rudolph's neck and I could feel the horse breathing heavily as well.

"I think that's enough running for me." He said breathily and I laughed. It was now dark, only minimal the light the barn gave us allows us to see. He helped me off the horse and I gave the steed some strokes of affection. As we entered the barn, I noticed that both Maverick and Rudolph were dusted with dirt, making Rudolph's coat look dull and muted.

"I think you guys both need a bath." I joked and Maverick chucked out a heart laugh.

"We do, don't we?" He threw back cheekily. "I can clean him up if you want to head back." He offered Dinners probably still going."

"No." I shook my head. "I couldn't do that. It'll be faster if we work together anyways."