XXXIX

The days grew colder and shorter, small flurries of snow scattered snowflakes on the ground at night and early morning, only to disappear by midday. Harsh December winds nipped at my cheeks as I made my way to the barn each morning, numbing my face and freezing my fingertips. I kept my pace up as I walked back and forth, my trips growing shorter and shorter as the cold got to me. I didn't own a proper winter jacket and I was too afraid to make the long drive into town, ice may be on the roads and they didn't lay down rock salt in these back roads.

Early winter passes by quickly, late December bringing in the lower temperatures and heavy snow. Hot chocolate in hand, I watched as snow flakes landed in the white ground. It was probably the most snow we've had this year. I could feel the cold even though I wasn't touching the window, threatening to seep inside. In retaliation, I brought my mug to my lips, gently blowing on it, the steam rose and warmed my face, the sweet aroma swirling around my nose. Taking a sip of the warm liquid, it warmed my throat and stomach, the taste dancing around my tongue, teasing my tastebuds with the lingering aftertaste.

I often find myself thinking about my time here, how I've somehow stayed here for half a year, which is fairly long considering they were complete strangers and I'm now living with them. Though, the six months here compared to the rest of my life in the city, I feel more connected here than I ever did there.

Waking around the house once more, I noticed Mrs. Somers was nowhere to be found. Moving to another window, I pulled the curtain back and noticed the truck was missing. Concerned, I headed upstairs and down the hall.

Knocking on the open door, I peaked my head in. Maverick sat upon the floor, surrounded by textbooks and his open computer. He had been studying all morning and I just interrupted, his eyes now on me.

"Sorry for disturbing you." I played with a stray thread that was dangling on the inside of my long sleeved shirt.

"That's alright." He rubbed his eyes, pushing his books out of the way. "I was about to take a break anyway. My eyes were getting tired." He blinked a few times, his eyes focusing back on me. "Did you need something."

"I was wondering if you knew where your mom was. I can't find her."

"Yeah, she text me a while ago that she went out." He moved his foot back and forth. "She's stalking up just in case there's a blizzard or we get snowed in." I felt myself pale and I guess he noticed. "They put salt down early this morning." I sighed in relief, my shoulders relaxing.

"I wish she would have said something. I would've gone with her." I leaned against the doorframe.

"Did you need something? I can call her if you need me to."

"No, it's okay." I gave him a closed mouthed but grateful smile. "I don't like when she buys things for me. It makes me feel bad."

"What do you need?" He asked, standing up to maneuver around his textbooks.

"A winter jacket but I don't need it that bad, I can just layer up." I shrugged my shoulder nonchalantly, knowing that if I didn't, his mom would definitely be coming home with a new jacket for me. Shaking his head, he stepped over some his books again, walking off and opened a closet, rummaging trough the hangers. He dug further back, the clicking of hangers  sounded at a steady rate until he found what he wanted. Pulling something out, he held it out to me, as if sizing me up to it.

"It's one of my old ones but it stills works. It'll be a bit big on you though." He walked back over and handed it out to me and I smiled at him as I took it. It wasn't one of those puffy jackets, rather, the black, almost windbreaker like material slid through my fingers. Although it looked light, it was fairly heavy and made of thermal material, so it would keep me warmer than any other jacket I had.

"Thank you." He looked at me funny before grinning.

"Go put your shoes on." He grabbed his own jacket before pulling his arms through. "And you might want to put on some pants."

"Why?" I asked, unzipping the coat from the hanger, handing him the plastic hook back.

"Just go." He laughed shooing me out the door. "We're gonna have some fun."

I entered my room and shut the door behind me. Grabbing a random pair of leggings, I swapped my shorts for them before pulling on my boots. Lastly, I pulled the coat over my shoulder, the material falling down to my mid thigh. It was definitely big on me, the sleeves covering my hands but it would keep me warmer. I heard his boot thumping down the stairs and I soon followed.

He waited for me by the front door, a beanie pulled over his head. As I went to open the door, he stopped me. Pulling the beanie off, he plopped it on my head. His hair now sticking up at odd angles, he gave me a cheeky grin.

"Now we're ready." Opening the door, he let me out first. The cold wasn't bad at first but after a few moments it eventually got to me, the tip of my nose already freezing.

Walking down the steps, I kicked the snow around a bit with the toe of my boot. I never really played in the snow as a child. I wasn't allowed to look improper and even if I was allowed, I didn't have any friends to play with. Distracted, something hit my arm, making me jump.

Maverick laughed off to my side, already forming another snowball. Grinning back, I scooped up some snow, forming my own. The soft ice froze my hands but I ignored it and continued to pack the snow into a sphere. I threw it at him but he dodged it.

"Come and get me." He opened his arms, taunting me.

"You're asking for it." I teased him, forming another one.

Our laughs were picked up by the blowing winds. My hands became stiff and numb but I kept rearming myself, throwing them at my target. Despite the cold, I was actually sweating a bit from constant running, my core temperature rising. We were able to hit each other a few times each but neither of us were really keeping score, just enjoying each other's time and company.

Throwing another, I managed to hit him again, though higher than what I aimed for. He grunted and turned his head, covering his face. Alarmed, I walked towards him, scared that I actually hurt him.

"Are you okay? I didn't mean-" I reached my hands out to examine his face but all I got was a mouthful of snow. Maverick, now laughing, looked at my bewildered face.

"Okay, okay. You got me good." I shook my head, smiling as I wiped the snow off my face, trying to get the small pieces out of my hair. Playful pushing him, he fell backwards in the snow, panting, his breath forming a small cloud in front of his mouth. He had an almost dazed look on his face as he stared up at me, smiling at me as he continued to pant.

Taking advantage of his position, I bent down and smeared a handful of snow in his face, giving him payback. He didn't try to fight me, just laughed and took it in. When I was done, he wiped the snow off his face, leaving the snow in his hair.

"I deserved it, huh?" I sat down beside his head, combing the smaller pieces out of his golden locks. He hummed when I hit his scalp and I felt my cheeks heat up, contrasting the cold.

"I can't feel my fingers." I admitted, laughing at the stiffness. He brought his hands over his head, cupping my hands. Somehow, his still held heat to them. Letting them go a second, he stood up, offering me his hand.

"Let's get you inside before you get frost bite." He joker as he pulled me from the ground. He kept his hand on mine as we walked back to the house, wiping off as much snow as we could before entering.

After changing into warm clothes, we found ourselves on the living room couch, watching a Christmas movie that was playing on cable. Hot chocolate cooling down on the end tables, we were curled up in a blanket, sharing heat. Leaning against him, my head on his shoulder and his head on mine, our hands managed to intertwine underneath the blanket.