XXXIV

I gave out a laugh, gently tugging at my sock that August had in his mouth. He bounded around, pulling at the cotton material, tail wagging in excitement. I gave into him, playing around for a few moments until gently pried it from his mouth. I grimaced at the small wet spot that was warm yet cold on my foot but it would dry.

"I know Bud, but I have to go." He gave me his large, pleading eyes, begging me not to go. I felt just as bad leaving him but it would be inappropriate to bring an animal into the court room. Slipping on my boots, I have August one last good scratch before I stood up and made my way to the kitchen say goodbye to Mrs. Somers.

"Are you sure you want to go? You'll just be sitting there. Besides, the outcome will be in our favor."

"Yeah, I know but I just need some sort of closure, I guess."

"That's understandable." She slipped me a cup of tea and I thanked her.

"Are you sure you'll be okay watching August. If not, I can stay." I asked, playing with the tea bag string.

"Nonsense, he's well behaved." She waved me off and I smiled, taking a sip of the hot tea. "They'll be back any moment. They wanted to do some chores before they left."

True to her word, the pair walked in a bit later, clad in their signature cowboys hats and boots. I placed my mug in the sink and gave August a goodbye pat on the way out the door.

"We are going to win, right?" I asked as I quickly jumped in the back of the truck. It was cold and windy out and I had forgotten my jacket in my room. I couldn't help but feel anxious that August or the horse could potentially be turned back to their previous owner.

"Don't you fret." Mr. Somers jumped into the driver's seat, Maverick jumping in next to me, leaving the passenger seat empty. "There's no way we are losing."

"How far away is it?" I asked, buckling my seatbelt.

"Oh it's just in town." Mr. Somers responded, turning the key in the ignition and turned on the heat. "Since we are suing, the defendant has to meet us."

The entire ride to town, my head was practically glued to the window. Sure, I had seen the color change of fall but in the city, there weren't that many trees. Out here, in the vast country, I was able to see endless shades of ambers and golds, every tree amazing me to no end.

"Never seen a tree before?" Maverick joked.

"Not like this." I offered, turning my gaze towards him for a second before returning it to the window. Not many words were spoken after that.

As we arrived into town, we headed further in than I had been, into more of a residential area until we reached the courthouse. When we entered, I noticed that we were one of the only people there, other than employees.

"You can go on and head back to the second room, Mr. Somers." A lady said from behind a desk. "The Judge is already in there."

"Did he show up?" He asked, referring to the animal abuser.

"Not yet." He nodded and directed us into on of the court rooms.

"What if he doesn't show up?" I asked, sitting into one of the benches along with Maverick while his father went to the front, organizing his evidence file.

"They will automatically be surrendered through us by the Judge. Even if he shows up, they are still going to be turned over to us." He said, relaxing into the bench. A chill settled into the room in, which I shivered, bringing my arms up to hug myself.
"Are you cold?" Maverick asked with concern.

"Just a bit." I admitted. "But I'll be fine."

"Here." He leaned forward and began to slip his hoodie off.

"No, it's fine. I'm fine." I said, my words trying to stop his actions but he slipped it off his head anyway, revealing a long sleeved shirt.

"You're cold, so here." He handed the jacket to me. "Besides, I was getting a bit hot anyway." I offered him a grateful but small smile and slipped it over my head. It warmed me instantly, his body heat still lingering on the thick material.

The defendant, Jeffery Hotch, arrive at the last possible minute. Any later and the case would have automatically gone in our favor. I would have loved for this to be that easy but I couldn't say I was disappointed that he showed up, since I was curious what such a foul man looked like.

He was mostly likely in his late forties, dark hair turning gray with a bit of a beer belly. I don't really know what I had been expecting but like a regular person, which made it worse in a way. It would have been better if he looked intimidating, because with his appearance, he could have hidden in plain sight. No one probably suspected he was an abused, didn't expect him to be such a horrid person if he looked so... plain.

As the trail started, the Judge took Mrs. Somers' folder, which held pictures, diagnostics and bills. Mr. Somers' gave his input on the injuries and conditions that the animals were in, indicating that if they had not been found, they would have died, point blank. My stomach sank at the thought.

Jeffery was given a chance to defend himself but honestly, he just gave piss poor excuses or just denies that facts. It made me sick when he changed his narrative and pretty much said that the animals deserved the treatment. I couldn't look at him any longer and Maverick set his hand on mine, noticing my unease.

"Mr. Hotch, are you trying to say the animals deserved to be emaciated and suffer until death? Is that what you are trying to say?" The Judge shifted in his chair, his eyes narrowing.

"N-No." Jeffery stuttered and being to stumble over his words, finally noticing that what he said was wrong. "What I meant was-"

"No, Mr. Hotch, I think we all know what you meant. You already said it. You are given two options. Either sign the papers that will surrender you animals or I will have them seized."

"I am not giving my animals away!" He snapped, slamming his fist on the wooden desk he was standing at. The Judge gave a knowing smile and slammed his mallet down.

"I hearby sign over the ownership the these animals to Mr. Somers' possessions. Since the client was unwilling to surrender his animals, he will pay all of the medical bills that the animals have required in your care before this hearing."

"You can't do that." Jeffery bellowed, charging the Judge before he could continue the sentencing. The police officer that was standing in the corner of the room intervened.

"I can and I just did." The Judge said. "Now, you will either sit down and let me finish or I will have you cuffed and sent out."

"You can't be serious." Jeffery's face was red but he sat back into his seat, boiling with anger.

"I no longer see you fit to be able to care for your other animals. All animals in your possession will be turned over to the Houston SPCA. They will collect your animals and you will be sent your bill. I also deem you unfit to have possession of any animals. Any animal you take into your possession will be seized. Case dismissed." He slammed his gavel down against, the sharp sound had Jeffery sent into a rage, in which he was escorted out by the officer.

"See." Maverick squeezes my hand and gave me a bright smile. "I told you we'd win."