XX

Though autumn was approaching, the midday sun was still sweltering on my back. I could feel the sweat roll down my neck and I wiped another drop off my forehead with my wrist, to avoid getting paint on my face. Despite the sweltering heat, painting was quite relaxing.

"Are you sure you don't want some wine? I know you're underage but a little won't hurt ya. Besides, I won't tell." Mrs. Somers winked at me, dipping her paint brush back into the bucket. She had a glass and opened bottle of wine on the porch table, sipping at while she took breaks.

"I'm okay. I don't drink." I said, spreading the paint around with long strokes.

"I appreciate you offering to help me with this. I could have gotten one of the boys to help me but schools starting and I like to give them a few days off to relax. Besides, I know that they'd rather go to the store with their dad than help me sand and repaint the doors."

Mrs. Somers and I were currently in the backyard, repainting the doors, as she said she wanted. They were chipping badly and were annoying her terribly. We had removed the two outdoor ones, sanded them and were now painting them back to white.

We were both sweating, the collars of our oversized shirts were sticking to our necks. They had been washed but were permanently stained and faded with age and work. They were mostly definitely men's shirts but I didn't want to ask who they belonged to.

"It's not a problem. I love helping out." Which was true. I did love helping others but I especially loved spending time with Mrs. Somers. She was the female role model I never had and she has done more then enough for me.

"You're a dear. You're sweet, you're kind hearted, you don't drink. You're the perfect little daughter I've always wanted." I could feel my face heat up and it wasn't from the sun. The sun also couldn't reach my heart, though it was warming up too.

"H-How do the boys work if they are at school all day?" I asked, changing the subject.

"We have ranch hands that work the school year, so the boys can focus on their grades, since they are in high school. Though, they still have to care for their own horses and dogs, to give them responsibility. During the summer they don't have to work. We give them the option to work and pay them if they do, since it's their free time. It also gives them time to hang out with their friends during the school year." I smiled at her as she placed her paint brush down, walking over to get another sip of wine before refilling her empty glass.

"I hope you don't see me as an alcoholic." She joked, pushing the cork back in.

"Of course not." I shook my head with a smile. This was only her second glass.

"Maverick, on the other hand, is enrolled in some college classes. He's lining up to graduate and become a veterinarian. He's already had a job offering with the Houston SPCA, like his father so as soon as he graduates, he'll have a job."

"That's wonderful."

"It's what he's always wanted." She nodded her head. "We never forced him into it, he chose it. He began taking college classes in high school, so he could get his degree early." I nodded, not wanting to repeat myself.

"So what did you want to do coming out of high school?" She asked and I felt my mouth go dry. I put my head down, like I was concentrating on painting but I just wanted to avoid her gaze, though I could still feel it.

"I wanted to go to college. My parents wanted to study business and financing, to take over theirs, but I never really thought about what I wanted to do."

"So why didn't you go to college?" I saw her out of the corner of my eyes, returning to her painting.

"S-Something came up." It sounded more like a question, like I was second guessing myself. "I guess I just wanted a break after that, freedom."

"That's alright. I don't mean to press. I didn't go to college either. I got pregnant with Elijah right out of high school. I got judged for it but I wanted to be a mother. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life but I always knew I wanted to be a mother."

"Well I think you're an amazing mom." Which she was. She sacrificed her future to raise her kids. She put them before her.

"Thank you, Dear." I finally looked up at when I hear the tightness in her voice. She was smiling but she couldn't hide the tears that were building.

"Are you-?"

"I'm alright, Dear. I'm just emotional talking about it sometimes." She gave a choked, sad laugh before wiping her eyes. "I'm so emotional." She laughed again, this time more relaxed.
"Well, the good thing is, is that we'll be done with these by the time the boys get home. We'll just take a small break and wait for this side to try before flipping them over." She said, wiping her eyes again and headed past me towards the porch.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked, grabbing her hand. She held mine and patted the top with her other hand.

"Yes, thank you. Besides, this is a happy day."

"I'm sorry?"

"Oh, Dear, we forgot to tell you, didn't we?" She asked herself. "We always through a bonfire when we find animal abusers. It's our tradition to kind of bring some happiness into dark times and kind of invite the animals into a new world of comfort. We are celebrating their new life and bringing down another bastard."

"So that's tonight?"

"Oh yes! Oh I'm excited! You can meet all of our friends. And I get to brag about my new backyard, all thanks to you." She grinned, patting my hand again.