XLIII

As I awoke and became aware of my surrounding, I could feel the shift in the air. Unlike the heavy atmosphere last night held, this morning, it was still. It wasn't an eerie type of still, like the calm before a storm, no, it was a steady calm. Today felt more open, I felt more open, a feeling similar to the soothing one I get when it rains.

Laying in bed, watching as the snow blanketed the Earth in a chilling, white layer, I felt relieved. For the first time in a while, I felt free. I was free of guilt, free of fear, free of knowing, even if it was just for a little bit, until reality catches up.

At the sound of August jumping off the bed, his nails scurrying across the floor as ran to the door, I sighed. Knowing it was time to get up, I threw the blanket off, embracing the cold that Winter brought. Even though the heat was on, the cold still seemed to somehow seep in.

Downstairs, I was met with wondering eyes, ones that followed me wherever I went. They weren't ones of judgement, rather ones of curiosity and still harbored left over feeling from last night, pity and sadness. I didn't mind, just continued to fill up August's water and bowels and they patiently waited for me to say something.

"Good morning." I broke the silence, sitting in my chair in which my breakfast was sitting on the table.

"Good morning, Dear." Mrs. Somer greeted, handing me a cup of tea before sitting down. "Do you- Do you know what your plan is?" I offered her a small smile as she was nervous to ask.

"I was going to leave today and drive. It takes around 40 hours so I was planning on driving until I got out of Texas and then take it from there. It's takes an entire day just to drive across Texas and then another two to get up to Long Island. I'd like to leave today so I can get there a few days in advance to give me time to speak with my lawyer."

"Wouldn't be easier to fly? You could stay here a few more days and then fly a day or two in advance."

"I can't fly." I shook my head, picking up my fork. "Well, I most likely can't. Since my parents fly so much, they have close connections to the owners of airlines. They know who I am and if I show up, I'm probably on some sort of blacklist. I'll be denied from boarding so buying a ticket would be a waste of money." I said as I moved my eggs around my plate. "Plus, I'll need a car to drive around once I get there."

"So driving it is."

"It's my best bet." I agreed with her.

"Will you be alright? It's a long drive and I can only imagine how stressful this situation is."

"Actually," Maverick chimed in, leaning forward in his chair. "I offered to go with her".

"Really?" Mrs. Somers eyed us. "Well that's great!" She beamed, clasping her hands together on the table.

"I-I don't think that it's a good idea." I trailed off, continuing to play with my food, twirling the fork around in circles between my thumb and forefinger.

"It's a long drive and it's dangerous for a female to travel alone." She pointed out. "I'd feel much better with Maverick with you."

"I-I don't know." My shoulders slumped. "I can't ask of that. It's so far and my situation isn't exactly the most ideal."

"My offer still stands." Maverick turned his body towards me. "I would like to come with you but only if you want me to come. I don't want to pressure you into saying yes." He was sincere, openly honest with his thoughts and feeing, I could see it in his eyes. I could see the he wanted to come with me but he wouldn't argue if I said no.

"Okay." I agreed. "But I'd rather leave sooner than later. I would like to be Texas before it gets too late. Otherwise, driving will be a pain because you're tired."

"Okay, just let me throw a bag together and we can head out." He pushed his chair back, bringing his dishes to the sink.

"Take your time. I have to do something anyways." I pushed my own chair back and grabbed my plates, only to have them gently taken from my hands by Maverick. Thanking him, I climbed the stairs, him following a few moments later, his heavy steps easily identifiable with his heavy boots.

Fumbling around with my bag, I reorganized and situated everything until I was satisfied I had everything. I couldn't help but look around my room, reminiscing in the memories I made here, as if it were the last time I'd be here. Standing up, I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed towards the door. Unlike last night, I took my time leaving, taking one last, long gaze around the room before I shut it gently behind me.

Heading down the hall to the next door, I knocked on the open door, leaning against the frame. I watched as Maverick packed, neatly folding his items before placing it in his own bag. As he walked back and forth, his movements stirred the air, causing his pleasant clean yet masculine scent tickle my nose every once in a while.

"Give me a few more moments and I'll be all good to go." He told me before disappearing in what I guessed was his own bathroom.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"I asked, making sure he could hear me. Returning to his room, he placed more things before zipping it. closed. Standing up, bag abandoned on the floor, he made his way towards me.

"I'm sure." He responded while maintaining eye contact. He then opened his arms and I stepped forward, wrapping mine around him. He pulled me closer, one arm around my waist while the other tangled in my hair. "You shouldn't do this alone." He placed a kiss on my forehead, his lips lingering there. "Not anymore."