XVIII

I didn't remember falling asleep last night but I remembered having a nice time. Tawny and Anne left early, around sunrise. They tried to be quiet but I was a light sleeper. I was surprised that I slept at all but I managed to stay up as long as possible, so I wouldn't sleep.

Mrs. Somers also snuck off at some point, which left her alone in the room. I folded the spare blankets they pulled out and picked up the pillows that had been tossed on the floor. I peered around the house and noticed Mrs. Somer's absence. She was probably out by the barn, checking the animals and doing the missed work until the boys came back.

I felt bad but I zoned out during the movie. I wasn't interested in watching made up fairy tails and love stories because they didn't exist. She saw how true marriages worked and what a facade they were. It was just a paper agreement and mutual financial competition on who could make the most money by doing the least amount of work. Marriage wasn't happiness, money was happiness because money made the world go round.

She hated money. She hated that such a little piece of paper held much more significance over human life. Families can be torn apart, lives recked but it's fine because someone benefited, someone got more money. It's also even more disgusting that those who have nothing are more giving than those who have more then enough. It's funny how those who have everything are more greedy than those who don't. It made her feel sick.

Shaking her head, she headed upstairs to change. She had duties to tend to as well. She had to feed and water the puppy. She also wanted to check on the horse, it had been a while and she wanted to check out his recovery.

The walk was as long as ever but all the more enjoyable. The long grass kissed at her ankles and the cool breeze tussled her hair. It was growing colder and she was looking forward to the changing leaves, though, she didn't know if she'd still be here so seen them. Time was ticking and she'd been here a while but it couldn't be forever.

She walked into the veterinary building, heading straight towards the puppy room. He was instantly waddling to the door with a wagging tail. He had gained weight and made him chubbier than when first came, which amused her. His mange was gone but so was his hair, which would grow back in a few months.

There were other puppies, from the same litter , which was unfortunate. They were only here because they were sick as well. Their results hadn't come back yet, so they were isolated. It was sad but they were able to be put a kennel together, which gave the company, but her puppy was still alone.

She cleaned out their kennel first and gave them fresh water and food, before moving into the impatient on that was bracing its front paws on her shin. She laughed and picked him up, letting him lick her face.

"Well hello there! Yes, I missed you too." She gushed, holding him close as she too gave him food and fresh water. When he got his fill, she took him outside and they played until he got tired and curled up in the grass. Her heart melted as she watched him yawn and wiggles into the blanket in his bed when she placed there. She'd miss him when she'd leave.

I then walked to the barn, where she found Mrs. Somers cleaning out the stalls. I called out to her, asking if she needed help but she rejected, saying that she was almost finished. I check in my horse as well. His wounds weren't so bad anymore but he was still skinny, which worried her, but I knew he'd be getting all the help he needed here. On her way out, she had spoiled him with a few carrots.

The sun had risen but the sun wasn't as sweltering as it had been, but it was still hot. She paused for a moment, but only a moment, just to appreciate the land they had. I smiled and kept walking. They didn't know how lucky they were.

The house was quiet, which made her feel funny. She had gotten so accustomed to the sound of boot and pans clanking together as Mrs. Somers made some sort of dessert or meal. It was a busy house, which she likes. Anything was better than silence.

She rounded the corner and walked into the living room. There was something in here that had caught her attention previously but she had never checked it out. She eyed the wooden instrument before sitting down and lifting the lid, cracking her fingers.

Her parents all but forced her to okay an instrument and she wasn't given a choice in the matter. It was either violin or piano, in which she chose piano because she thought it was harder. She thought that maybe, if maybe she didn't like it, she could convince them that it was too hard so that she could quit. Though, she had grown to love it, it became her escape. Her parents stayed away when she was playing, deeming it hard to concentrate, so she was given a break when they were home.

I reached my hands out, resting them on the keys before pressing down on a few, playing a simple chord. Although it was out of tune, it was the most beautiful sound she had ever heard, because it wasn't so posh and perfect. She played a few more chords before readjusting her sitting position. She hadn't played in so long but her muscles still held the memories.

She began to play her favorite song, which was one that annoyed her parents to no end because she played it on repeat until she could get it perfect. They controlled everything in her life they she wouldn't allow to decide what she played, though they tried. They wanted her to stay with the classics, maybe throw in some Russian or Italian pieces to the mix but she didn't. She picked her own songs, which was maybe why this became her favorite, because it disappointed her parents.

A beautiful tune it was, filling up the room, even if some notes were more sharp or flat than others. She had played it so much that she was able to play it with her eyes closed, able to relax and fully enjoy the piece she was playing. A creak sounded from behind her, which made her eyes snap open and she instinctively slammed the lid down again, hiding the keys.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you."

She spun around slowly, facing the entrance where Maverick leaned against the wall. He was covered in sweat but he still made her stomach feel funny. "It's okay. I wasn't expecting anyone home."

"What were you playing?" His hat casted a shadow across his gave but she swore she could see a small smile.

"It's uh, it's called River Flows in You."

"It was very lovely." He was as he pushed himself off the wall. "I'd love to listen to you play again."

Just as he went to take a step towards me, one of his youngest brothers ran passed him and up the stairs. "Snooze you loose, Mav! I'm getting the first shower now!"

"Not if I have any say in it." He laughed and chased his brother up the stairs. Her palms were sweating and her stomach felt warm. She really liked his smile.