XXIV

"You're up early." Mrs. Somers commented, pouring a cup of coffee. I gave a small smile, watching as Mr. Somers and Maverick set the table. "Any reason why?" She asked, placing the mug on the table in front of her seat.

"I was thinking about heading into town." I said, fiddling with my keys in the pocket of my sweatshirt. Autumn was approaching, causing an early morning chill. "Go do some exploring or something."

"Sit down and eat before you go. You shouldn't drive that long hungry." She said, gesturing her head to Maverick to grab another plate.

"You don't have to-" I paused at the look Mrs. Somers gave me. She really didn't take no for an answer and I gave her another smile and shook my head before sitting down in my usual seat.

The younger boys are all at the school now, leaving the table and house feeling empty. They stayed with family that lived closer to town, closer to the school. I tried to ignore the man sitting next to, looking over the empty chairs or staring at my plate as we ate.

My knee bounced against the flooring. There was a perfectly reasonable distance between us, considering we were eating at a table, but it felt invasive almost, his presence consuming me. After what happened yesterday, I couldn't contain the blush that crept onto my face, a blush staining my cheeks a dark pink. I couldn't help but be aware of him, even though I shouldn't. I kept my head down, thankful I wore my hair down. It shielded my face somewhat and hid my neck, just in case the red hue was there also. I cleared my throat and reached for an empty glass, filling it with the pitcher of ice water.

"Are you okay, Deary? You're looking a bit flushed."

"Yes." I said, pretending to cough as I finished filling my glass. "Just choked a bit." I lied, taking a sip of the water, hoping it would cool me down a bit.

I watched her, her knowing eyes held a spark behind them. She casually picked up her mug before sending a quick glance between Maverick and I, causing me to flush all over again. I could see her holding back a grin as she took a sip of her coffee. She knew. I guess some mother really did always know. I didn't know if I was embarrassed or ashamed but either way, my face was still pink, possibly red. 

I cleared my throat again, breaking our  gaze to stab another piece of egg and bring it to my lips. I tried to eat a bit quicker, just to clear my plate and get away from this tension filled atmosphere. Mr. Somers and Maverick seemed oblivious to Mrs. Somer's hidden grins and my slight awkward nature. Though, it could be because I was always somewhat awkward, hidden and quiet, which I was extremely thankful for in this particularly embarrassing moment.

"Thank you for breakfast." My voice was quieter than normal but still held the genuine appreciation I had. I rubbed the sweat off my hands on my jeans before standing up and grabbing my plate.

"Of course, Sweetheart." She said, gently grabbing the plate from my hands and placed it in the sink. "Just be careful and if you plan on staying late, just make sure you come back in time before the sun sets. I don't want you out on these roads in the dark. They all can look the same and it's easy to get lost." She then proceeded to tell me the best route to take and again warned me, this time of potholes and possible crossing animals.

"You going to end up scaring her, Mom." Maverick commented, placing his dishes in the sink.

"I'm not trying to. You know how I am." She gently scolded him. "I'd feel much better if someone went with you." She look at Maverick and then back at me.

"Mom, I'd love to but I can't, remember?"

"Oh, that's right. I'm sorry, I forgot." She pay it hand before placing her hands in the soapy water. My eyebrows furrowed and I glanced questionably up at Maverick.