XXI

"I think they look good, considering it was last minute. We can always put a second coat on later but this will do for now." Mrs. Somers notes, staring at the front door, a few feet in the front yard.

I watched as some of the boys at the side of the house, tossing hay bales to each other off the back of a truck. The others, including the father, was taking in a number of reusable shopping bags, a lot more than I had predicted, which meant a lot of people.

"So who all is coming tonight?" I asked, watching as another hay bale was thrown.

"It's will mostly be workers from the Houston ASPCA but the sheriff, and friends will probably stop in. They will mostly be adults but the kids are also welcome to invite their friends." She replied as she walked into the house and I trailed her.
"I don't expect them to mingle with old people." She said jokingly. We began to pull the items from the bags and setting them out.

"You're not-" I began but she interrupted.

"Yeah yeah, I'm not old." She mocked with an exaggerated tone, tilting her head side to side. I was taken aback.

"I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean-"

"Oh,Sweetheart." She dropped the bag of chips on the floor and grabbed my hands gently.
"I was just messing around. I didn't think you would take it to heart."

"Oh, um it's okay." My eyebrows furrowed, flustered. I thought she had been mocking me as if I was lying, but she was kidding?

"Oh honey, you couldn't offend me if you tried. You're too sweet for that." She pinched my cheek, trying to bring the cheery atmosphere back, which worked because is diffused the tension.

"I just- I just didn't understand. My family took things more literal, I guess." My hands were still shaking but I quickly got back to pulling things out.

"Mmm." She hummed. "The more serious type." She turned towards me, her hip leaning against the counter. "Here, we tease a lot, so just try to relax. We ain't gonna nip ya for having some fun." Her southern twang really came through, which made me smile.

We continued to organize the snacks, putting them in large bowls, along with fruits and vegetables. Mr. Somer was outside messing with the grill, preparing for grilling hotdogs and hamburgers. The boys apparently had disappeared into the basement, which I didn't know about, to grab the tables and set them up outside.

Mrs. Somers had retreated upstairs, changing her clothes after spilling dip on her when she opened the container. I took it upon myself to start filling the empty coolers with ice and drinks. My hands were burning from the cold but I cut open another bag and dumped it in, shoving in more soda cans.

"Oh, let me get that." Someone said, stopping me from picking it up. His hands were warm as they brushed mine. He flinched from the cold but didn't say anything.

"Thank you." I watched he almost effortlessly held the weight.

"It's not a problem, Darlin'." He grinned before heading down the hall, leaving me to stare at his retreating figure. This family sure had a thing for pet names.

"Is there something wrong, Sweetheart?" A hand was placed on my shoulder and I jumped. Mrs. Somers, now in a different top, was looking at me with her eyebrows furrowed.

"N-No." I said placing my hand where hers once was. "I-I was just going to take the coolers out."

"Oh no." She said, waving her hand, picking up a bowl in each hand. "Leave the heavy lifting for the boys." She winked at me as she passed me, heading down the hall. I shook my head and grabbed the closest things to me, heading outside to place them on the folding tables.