XV

I was never one who carried their phone with them constantly. It was often forgotten at home or was left untouched in my back pocket, which is why I was startled by the sudden vibration. The screen lit up the room I was staying in, the devise humming against the wood of the nightstand. The contrast between the light and the darkness had my eyes squinting until they adjusted to read the caller ID. The instantly I recognized the name, I pressed the answer button.

"Mr. Eyler?" It wasn't the fact that it was evening and he was calling me, it was only eight thirty and a reasonable time. No, it was the fact that he had been my lawyer and I hadn't spoke to him since that last day of my trial.

He was hefty in price but it had been worth it. He has more then proven her innocence and got her out of jail. Besides, it technically wasn't even her money. He was bought with her platinum card, her parents money. It will be the first and last expensive things I will ever buy with that card.

"Hello, Miss. Sawyer. As much as I like you, I was hoping I'd never have to talk to you again."

"Unfortunately, the feeling it mutual." I swallowed hard. "You aren't calling for good news, are you?"

"No." He signed. "I don't think I'll ever have the privilege of delivering good news to you."

"It's her, isn't it?" My stomach sank. I though I was finally done and over with this thing.

"She appealed."

"It can't possible be approved. With the evidence pinned against her and the way the last trail went..." I trailed off.

"Her appeal has already gone through and been appealed. I've been informed there has been new evidence uncovered and she is claiming insanity."

"But there's no way the appeal should have gone through that fast. It's been only a few months."

"I'm suspecting bribery. I'm having a private investigator uncover that. With the police on my side, I'm might be able to push the trial back. A date hasn't been set but I can hold it up as much as I can by collecting evidence."

"Do you think we'll win."

"If I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure. If they have a corrupt judge, they'll want a trail with no jury and the judge will side with them. I already put in that we want a jury. Even if we win this one, with her insanity claim, she might not get as harsh a punishment. And with their hotshot prestigious lawyer, they could her out of a lot of things."

"This is all such bullshit." I said as I ripped my blankets off, bile rising in my throat.

"Yeah, our justice system in its entirety is flawed. The important things is you're innocent. We both know you're innocent and I will do everything in my power to prove that." I rubbed my temples, watching as the yellow comforter slid off the bed.

"I suppose you still have my Nikki by information on hand. Just charge whatever and I'll sign it off. If my parents notice the charges or cut me off, let me know and I'll figure out an alternative."

"Miss, Sawyer, I have more than enough money to know what to do with. I don't need anymore, especially not from you. I know your situation and your story. I will be more than satisfied to defend you and make sure you proven innocent once more. You don't deserve a life behind bars."

"You know I can't let you do that."

"You can and you will. I don't want nor do I need your money. Once this case is over with, we can figure out something. Until then, I just want you to relax, wherever you are."

"I'm in Texas, actually. At a ranch."

"Texas? I'd never expected you to go out in the middle of nowhere. I thought you'd go to Cali or at least somewhere close to a city."

"I just wanted to lay low. I'm the daughter of two hotshot business partners that convicted of murder. These people I don't even think have internet."

"That's probably for the best. This prevents media outlast and your location exposure. It will help keep peoples' opinions neutral if they are called to jury duty."

"I just want this to be over so I can be left alone." I groaned. "It's been over a year."

"I know, and it will be, soon. Just try to relax while your out in Timbuktu."

"Thank you, Mr. Eyler, for everything you've done for me."

"Don't get all sentimental on me now. You know I don't like that." I heard a female voice in the back ground of the phone.

"You're wife?"

"Yeah, she's been home sick recently."

"Oh, well then I won't keep you. Please don't call me again."

"Trust me I won't. Just leave the rest to me."