XXXII

Sleep didn't come to me again that night. My tears were spent, face tight and stained, and I was exhausted. I was sick of having this as my life, scared to trust people, afraid that the past was going to catch up with me. That once people found out who I am, what I've done, I'll never be seen as a person, as an equal.

Maverick stayed in my room for a while, in which I was feeling extremely guilty for. I insisted I was fine and told him to go to sleep, but he didn't. He insisted on staying until I fell asleep. While the thought was nice, I was on edge, completely aware of his presence.

While I laid on the bed, eyes closed and pretended to doze off, he sat on the floor. It was early in the morning and I knew, with a heavy heart, that he would still get up early tomorrow, exhausted.

I could hear his mom pull into the driveway, the engine cutting off. It was then that he stood, slowly, to not disturb the wood beneath them. He didn't move at first, just standing there for a moment, before letting out a sigh. The blankets then shifted on me as they were brought closer to my shoulders, as he tucked me in.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, his voice quiet yet was loud through the silence of the room.

He then left the room, keeping his steps light despite his weight. The door creaked as he opened it, bringing in a beam of light. He sighed deeply as he shut the door behind him, the knob turned of it didn't close too loudly. With the small click of the knob setting back in place, I opened my eyes, flopping onto my back. I listened as he walked down the stairs, only to bombarded by Mrs. Somers. Her voice was loud and clear, even from here, full of anger and concern. 

"Shh Ma." He said over her voice. He must have still be standing at the bottom of the stairs, his voice traveling up and down the hall where I awaited, listening. "She's asleep."

Their voices then quieted after that, leaving only the sound of their voices. Yet their words were undistinguishable, the tones of their voices still conveyed their feeling. Mrs. Somers, still upset, struck a nerve in me. I felt awful that I had caused her worries, that I caused all of this trouble.

Maverick, on the other hand, I couldn't discern. He was muted, silenced more than his normal, outgoing nature. He was much more serious but I couldn't tell what he was feeling. With his sudden change in attitude and his out of no where apology, I was perplexed.

I was left alone in the dark, alone, for hours. August must have run out of the room, having been scared by my actions. While the Somers eventually turned in for the night, I did not. I stared into the darkness until the sun came up, eyes heavy and mind worn out.

I listened as the Somers got up at normal time, continuing their normal routine, yet I stayed. I stared at the ceiling, useless, emotionless. I couldn't muster up the strength to face them at the moment.

I must have stayed up their a while for Mrs. Somers came knocking at the door. Her knuckles gently knocked against the wood, which I wouldn't have heard if I was asleep. I didn't have the heart to ignore her.

"You-" my voice was weak, empty, barley making a noise. "You can come in, if you want." I repeated a bit louder, sitting up.

"It's almost midday." She informed me quietly, sitting at the foot of the bed and I nodded.
"Maverick told me what happened last night."

"I know." I murmured, looking into the bed, fumbling with the sheets.

"Oh Honey, I'm so sorry." She placed her hands on mine, sending me support.

"It's not your fault. You shouldn't apologize." I tried to ease their guilt. It truly had nothing to do with them and I couldn't help but wonder why they kept apologizing for something they didn't do.

"I still feel horrible. I always will when someone happens to someone I care for." She took me into a hug, with I returned gratefully. "Are you doing alright."

"I'm okay." I assured her, speaking over her shoulder. She pulled back, looking at my face.

"Don't lie to me, Missy. I've raised many kids. I know I lie when I hear one." She lightened the air with her small tease and I sent her a small smile.

"I'm tired." I admitted and she rubbed my shoulders.

"I'm telling you it's not to pressure you but just to let you know, okay?" She asked me and I nodded. "The man that assaulted to last night was taken in by the police. Maverick gave them a statement of what he saw but they'd like one from you. All you have to do is call in. You don't have to do it now or anything but I was supposed to inform you."

"Do I have to?" With my history of police, Id rather not have to deal with them.

"Unfortunately, this is a small town and Maverick told them you were staying with us. They will most likely call if you don't soon."

"I guess it would be best to do it now, right? While everything is still fresh." I tried to convince myself.

"You don't have to. You can always wait until you're feeling well."

"I rather just get it over with, so I can move on." She gave me a few minutes to wake up while she called the station. I stared at myself in the mirror. My eyes were surrounded by a dark ring and I looked pale. Slashing water on my face, I headed down stairs, Mrs. Somers handing me the phone. She then left the room, giving me privacy."

"H-hello?"

"Hello Ma'am. This is Sheriff Hernandez. I was informed you were the women assaulted last night. Is this correct?"

"Y-yes, Sir."

"Is it okay if I ask you a few questions?"

"Yes, Sir." I repeated, clutching the phone tightly.

"Would you like to press charges?"

"Will I have to go to court?"

"No, ma'am. The fair had several cameras around the perimeter to prevent vandalism and damages to the grounds. Your assault was caught on camera."

"Are you sure I won't have to go?"

"Yes Ma'am. With the physical evidence, it is more then enough to charge him and your testimony will not be needed. He will also be charged with public intoxication and possession of illegal substances. All we need is your statement of what happened last night for our records."

"Will my name be released anywhere."

"No, ma'am. You can remain anonymous. If you chose this, your name will not be on our records and will not be disclosed to the public."

It was then I agreed to press charges, recounting my assault to him. I gave him as many details as possible, knowing that I will be safe from the public. As long as my name and face would be out of the limelight, I was fine.

"Did he leave any bruises or marks on you. If so, we'd like photographs."

"No, he didn't."

"Okay ma'am, those are all my questions. Thank you for your cooperation."

"Thank you, Sheriff." I placed the phone back on the wall, my hands still shaking from my nerves. I stiffly made my way to a chair, sitting down with my head in my hands. Mrs. Somers walked in a while later, as I fought to stay awake in the seat. She opened the fridge and pulled out the milk.

"How about some comfort cookies?"