Chapter Forty Eight

That night, both Arnav and Aryan didn't sleep in their rooms. Not once did they complain, although how could one complain if they refused to talk? Dinner was absolutely quiet, the ladies looking at their husbands, trying to figure out what was up. Once dinner was complete, the two men washed up and went to their individual rooms.

"This is odd," Khushi said.

"I really don't understand what they're up to, nor what their reasoning is for locking up those spare rooms."

"Wait, Ammu, you don't think they're...."

Shalini scrunched her eyebrows. "They're what?"

"Do you think they're making the babies' rooms?"

Shalini thought about it. "That would explain the teddy bears."

Khushi burst into a smile. "That's so sweet of them!"

"But why are they being so secretive," Shalini huffed.

"Hmm... that's a good question."

*~*

Later that night, Khushi was restless. She just couldn't fall asleep. So she got up and decided to head down to the kitchen and eat some cereal, since she was suddenly in the mood for it. As Khushi headed towards the stairs, she noticed Shalini walking down the end of the hall. Immediately, Khushi realize that she was going to where Aryan was sleeping.

Khushi headed down to the kitchen and when she entered, she saw Arnav sitting on the island, causing her to flinch.

Khushi held her chest. "You scared me."

Arnav simply gave a nod and continued eating his grilled cheese sandwich. Khushi picked up the smell of his sandwich and she walked towards it, as if it were curling its finger at here in a come-hither motion. Khushi stood in front of Arnav and eyed the other uneaten half of his grilled cheese. Arnav glanced down at the other half and then at her. It was clear from the look on her face that she wanted it, especially because she was slightly drooling.

"Arnav-"

"No."

Khushi's wide eyes shot up to his. "You would deny your pregnant wife of food?!"

Instead of answering her, Arnav got up, taking his plate with him. Khushi followed behind like a puppy eager for him to drop the sandwich. 

Arnav opened up the fridge and handed her an apple.

"An apple? That's not filling!"

"It's healthy, eat it."

"A grilled cheese is healthy," she pouted with a frown, crossing her arms over her chest.

"There's a lot of butter in here, I don't want my kid to get fat."

Khushi scoffed. "He won't get fat from a little bit of butter."

"You've already had enough butter and oils today. No more."

"Arnav!"

"I said no."

"You're horrible!"

Arnav didn't say anything, so Khushi groaned and went to get the cinnamon toast crunch. She filled up her bowl with cereal and milk and grumpily ate. As she chewed grumpily, she stared down the back of Arnav's head, hoping she would somehow gain laser vision and would create a hole through his head, just to get the other half of the sandwich.

"Khushi stop it."

"I'm not doing anything," she said, still staring at him.