Chapter Seventy One

With the news of Khushi expecting a baby girl, double celebrations were called for and the family was reunited to celebrate. Per Arnav's request, however, Lavanya agreed to keep it small so she held the party at their house, also making it easy for NK and Seema. While the elders were downstairs, everyone else stayed upstairs, the ladies hanging out in NK's and Seema's bedroom.

"How's it going for you new mama," Payal asked Seema.

"Tiring," Seema said as she collapsed down onto the bed. "Lately he's been fussy at night and stays awake, and no matter how hard we try to get Shaurya to fall asleep, he refuses."

"I'm sure it's just a phase," Khushi smiled softly.

"I hope so. The pooping and the burping I can deal with, but a non-sleepy baby while I'm sleep deprived, I cannot."

"Well if it helps, maybe try to keep him up a little longer in the day so that he sleeps more at night. And swaddling should help as well, or so I've heard Arnav say."

"Let me guess - baby book?"

"One of many," Khushi grinned, rolling her eyes.

"Same here with NK, he just won't drop it," Seema rolled her eyes.

"I might have a solution," Payal said."

I'll do anything!"

"Just have him give the books to Akash."

"Give them to Akash? But why would he-?

"Khushi's eyes widened and so did Lavanya's.

"Shut the fuck up," Lavanya grinned.

Khushi placed her hand over Payal's. "You really mean...?"

Payal nodded. "I'm pregnant."

The room erupted with squeals of joy and all of the ladies hugged Payal, Payal unable to help herself, getting emotional.

"Oh my gosh congratulations," Khushi exclaimed.

"I'm so happy for you," Seema grinned.

"Another baby is joining the family, oh fuck yeah," Lavanya exclaimed.

The others rolled their eyes at Lavanya's choice of words, but they had to agree that it was true.

"This is going to be amazing! I can't wait to get a grip on Akash Bhai-"

"You can't," Payal cried out.

Everyone looked at Payal in confusion.

"What the-? Why," Khushi asked.

"I... I haven't told him...."

"Why not," Seema asked.

"Well... I don't know. I guess I'm just nervous."

"How come," Lavanya frowned.

"Did Akash say something," Khushi asked. "As far as I know, he's been wanting a child. That even seemed to be the case when you all came over to our place last time."

"No, it's nothing like that," Payal said, shaking her head. "It's just... I don't know, I'm just so nervous myself and I'm still processing it. I mean... it's been quite some time since Akash and I got married and...."

"And what," Khushi asked softly.

Payal let out a sigh. "People started saying things," she said very softly.

"What do you mean," Lavanya frowned.

"I didn't notice it at first but... the first time I ever heard anyone say anything was at work, some time ago. Some of the ladies were wondering how come even after being married for so long that there was no news of anything. At first I didn't let it get it to me, because the truth is we weren't even trying - we were only trying to live our lives and have fun. But eventually..." Payal let out another sigh. "People were just getting more and more cruel, and we had started trying for a moment, but then we kinda stopped because of things getting hectic at work for Akash, but even then nothing had worked so.... Some women sure can be nasty."