♧ Chapter 23: Used, Hurt, Hit & Cursed♧

Kankuro POV:

That's it. I'm leaving this place. I can't believe that my father would do such a thing.I mean I know that Temari and I were really lonely and sad because he never had time for us and always put work on the first place, but what he did to Gaara is just unforgivable. I don't even know why I hated him so much. I only did it because dad told me to stay away from him. When he was born and I saw him for the first time I was so glad to be a big brother. I was so happy to hold him. He was so tiny and I just wanted to protect him, but then mom died and father took him to live with uncle and when he came back to us, after uncle killed himself, he was 6. Gaara gave a whole other meaning to cute but psycho. I tried to approach him once and he threatened to kill me. So from that day on I started blaming, hurting and hating him because it was easier than confronting him and getting rejected like that. I really was even scared of him at some point and because of that I also started hating younger kids. But now I realize that if I would have tried harder everything would have been different. I could have helped him and maybe we could have been a happy family but now it's all fucked up. What on Earth have I been doing with my life until this point? And what kind of messed up family am I part of?

When I snapped back to reality I noticed that I was in a park. I looked at my phone and it said 1 am. I took a seat on a bench and started thinking where I could go. Maybe to a friend's house? But then I realized what kind of friendships I had so far...they are not true friends...damn it. How stupid can I be? I pulled my phone out and picked the only contact that I though might still be a friend.
"Kankuro?"
"Yo, Neji...I'm sorry for waking you up...could I by any chance spend the night at your place?"
"Uh, sure..."
"Thanks, cya"
....

When I arrived at his place he looked at me confused.
"What happened?"
"You were right. I should have talked things out with Gaara. He...he attempted suicide. I found him in a bath of blood." I said with a shaky voice recalling the scene all over.
When I looked at Neji he looked paler than usual and he suddenly sat down.
"What? Is he okay? Why would he do that?"
Okay...that's a new one? Since when is Neji concerned about my brother?
"He's in the hospital right now. I also found out that my father used to beat him up...that's probably what happened when you saw him all bloody." I looked down at my hands.

"Fortunately I found him just in time and it was all thanks to you. I wish I listened to your advice sooner..."

"But is he alright now? Can we visit him?"

"Right now he is stable. He has to stay in the hospital for about 2 weeks and visits are only allowed tomorrow."

"I'm glad that he's life isn't in danger anymore."

"Are you to friends or something?"

"What?No?" he answered blushing a little. Don't tell me he has a crush on my little brother? Now that I think about it it's funny how I think of Gaara as of my little brother and not just a random person who happens to live in my house. What a terrible person I am.

"Hey...Earth to Kankuro?"

"Sorry, what?"

"I am going back to sleep. My room is right there. You know where the kitchen and bathroom are. I hope that it isn't a problem for you to sleep on the couch."

"No, it's fine. Thanks a lot."

"If you need anything I'll be upstairs."

"Alright, thanks Neji. Good night"

"Good night."

Sasuke POV:

After the doctors let us know that we can't visit Gaara, Naruto and I left the hospital. We started walking home when Naruto said that he wants to take a walk. I wanted to go with him, but he made it clear that he wants to be alone. I just came back home. Two hours have already past since I last heard of him. I was listening to Slayer-Raining Blood when I noticed the familiar blonde entering the room. He was very down. I took my headphones out and looked at him worried. His eyes were giving away the fact that he had cried. I stood up and walked up to him intending to hug him, but he did something that both hurt and surprised me. He pushed me away.

"I'm fine." he added while walking in the bathroom. I didn't know what to do. A little later I heard a sob.

"Naruto, please open the door and talk to me. You're not alone. Stop blaming yourself for what happened."

"Leave me alone. I am fine." Ouch, that hurt.

"I don't care if you throw stones at me, I am still not going anywhere."

Again complete silence, just as I was about to speak again Naruto exit the bathroom. He looked completely broken and so fragile. I wrapped my arms around him. I expected him to push me away again, but this time he wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged back. We shrunk to the floor and he hid his face in my chest and just cried for quite some time. I tried to comfort and calm him down, but nothing worked, so all I can do is hug him and be here for him right now.

"I should have been there. I should have done something to help him..." he suddenly spoke

"Naruto, it's not your fault. If you really wanna blame than it's my fault, too... it is so many people's fault."

"But what if he would have died?"

"But he didn't. He is alive and all we can do from now on is to try our best to make him see that we are here for him and to try and change his mind on this matter. We have to be strong for him as his friends. We have to be reliable. I am sure that Gaara wouldn't want you to beat yourself up like that. It would only make him feel guilty."

He looked me and his eyes widen a little. He started calming down. I tried standing up so I can reach for a napkin.

Keyword: tried

, but Naruto had a death grip on me and didn't let me go.

"Please don't let go and leave." he mumbled embarrassed. A smile spread across my face at the cute scene.

"Who said anything about letting go or leaving? I just wanted to get you a napkin, but I guess this will do, too."

I used my sleeve to whip away his remaining tears. He smiled, that's good, and then he leaned back on me. Frankly I don't want to let go either...ever. I know that there is no such thing as forever, but I want have him around for as long as I exist. I want to protect him and comfort him always. I ... I think I might like him...more than a best friend... I quickly shook that though off and started playing with his hair...No matter what the future brings I will be there for him for as long as I am alive.