Pride Of Shadyside (Jyrus)

Cyrus decides that he wants to go the Shadyside Pride Parade, but fears he'll end up going alone. Told from a single POV.

Cyrus POV

It was that time of year that I had been looking forward to. I was planning to go to the Shadyside Pride Parade for the first time. I had been out to my family and friends for about a year, but now I wanted to start being more open and happy.

I had called a group meeting with Jonah, Buffy and Andi. We met up at my house and I discussed my plans.

Me: So I'm going to the pride parade this year.

Jonah: Oh cool.

Buffy: Are you going to dress up?

Me: I've got a pride flag, but I'll probably just dress casually.

Andi: But Cyrus, this is a big moment, you should let out your fabulous-ness!

Me: Yeah, you're right.

Now I had a problem, how exactly can I look fabulous? I don't really have anything that would make me stand out, so I was at a bit of a loss.

Jonah: Well, I must be going, so I'll see you later guys.

Me: Okay, bye!

As Jonah left, I sat with the girls and we tried to come up with some ideas for my outfit. It was surprisingly difficult for them.

Andi: Now, do you want to wear makeup?

Me: I'm not sure, it'd be nice to not do what everyone expects.

Buffy: Cyrus, if you want to wear makeup, it's fine. It's not about living up to stereotypes, it's about being you.

Me: Do you have any suggestions?

Andi: How about some rainbow nail polish?

Me: That sounds good to me!

Buffy: Cool. What about your outfit? Do you have a preference for colour?

Me: I like turquoise.

Andi: Okay, we can work with that. Do you want to come shopping with us?

Buffy: We'll buy everything!

Me: Thanks, but I have other stuff to do.

Andi: Okay, we'll bring back what we buy for you to decide on.

As the girls left, I was left thinking about why Jonah may have left early. I thought that he was okay with me being gay, but I got the feeling that maybe he wasn't okay with everything. I was not sure whether I should find him to clear the air.

I thought about it but decided against talking to him. If he didn't like it, I didn't want to make the situation worse.

The girls returned to my house an hour later, with a turquoise t-shirt, black skinny jeans and lots of nail polish in different colours.

Me: Wow, this looks absolutely perfect!

Andi: Get changed, let's see what you look like!

Buffy: Go on!

I went into my bathroom and got changed whilst the girls waited in my room. The clothes were very comfy and I really liked how I looked. I re-entered my room.

Me: So, what do you think?

Andi: Aww, you look really cute!

Buffy: So stylish.

Me: But what about the nail polish?

Andi: Say no more.

Andi painted my nails with a rainbow pattern, whilst Buffy had brought some hair gel and spiked my hair up a little. I had never felt so good about how I looked.

Buffy: Wow, someone's going to be breaking some hearts.

Andi: You look amazing.

Me: Thank you... but...

Andi: But what?

Me: I wish Jonah was here.

Everyone went silent, clearly unsure of how to respond to what I said. I could see them giving me sympathetic looks.

Buffy: I know... We know how much you like him.

Andi: He really doesn't hate you, if that's what you're thinking.

Me: It hurts that he didn't stay long.

Buffy: Don't worry, I'm sure you'll see him soon.

I was not convinced, but I knew my girls would do anything to help me to feel better. I wanted to get a good night's sleep, as the parade would start in the morning.

When I woke up, I got dressed and styled my hair as Buffy had done. The rainbow nail polish was still applied, as I never took it off.

I met up with Buffy and Andi at the parade itself, and they greeted me with warm, friendly hugs.

Me: Hey girls!

Andi: You still look adorable.

Buffy: Lots of guys are going to notice you.

I was about to reply, when Andi interrupted me. She had a shocked expression on her face, and I looked as she pointed.

Andi: Is that Jonah?

Me: Y-yes! It is!

Jonah was wearing a red shirt with a rainbow flag on it, along with similar skinny jeans to me. He also had the rainbow flag temporarily tattooed on his arm. He ran over to us and the first thing he did was hug me.

Me: J-Jonah! You're here!

Jonah: Of course, you didn't expect me to let you be the only gay guy here, did you?

Me: Wait, what?

Jonah: I'm gay too Cyrus, and I really like you. Will you go out with me?

Me: Yes! OMG I can't believe this!

Buffy: It all makes sense.

Andi: You two are just the sweetest.

I couldn't pay attention to the parade anymore, I was fixated on Jonah, as he was with me. I felt my heart jump and my hands shake with excitement, but now I knew that not only was Jonah okay with me, but he loved me too.

Thanks for reading.