I Think I Always Knew (Jasher)

After coming out of the closet, Joshua awaits the reaction of his former co-stars. Told from a single POV.

Joshua POV

I had done it, after so many years keeping it from everyone, I was out of the closet and feeling great about myself.

I had received numerous messages of support from celebrities and fans alike, but the reaction I was most interested in was Asher's.

Sofia and Peyton had called me to tell me that they were proud of me and that meant the world. I spoke to Luke too, who was also supportive.

As I sat on my bed, I was interrupted by a knock at the door. It was late in the evening and I wasn't expecting visitors. When I opened the door, I saw Asher. His face showed no emotion so I didn't know what he was thinking.

Me: H-hi Asher.

Asher: Hey Joshua, I...

Me: What is it?

Asher: Well... I wanted to...

I noticed that he was shaking slightly, but I didn't want to push him into talking about anything.

Me: Would you like to come in?

Asher: Sure.

He followed me into the lounge and we sat together on the sofa. This was not what I was expecting, but I was glad to see him nonetheless.

Me: Are you okay?

Asher: Why didn't you tell me?

Me: What?

Asher: I thought we told each other everything. Why didn't you tell me that you're bisexual?

Me: I wasn't really planning to do anything specific. I wanted everyone to find out at the same time.

Asher: I'm sorry if I've not been approachable.

Me: What are you talking about?

Asher: Clearly you felt like you couldn't tell me.

Me: To be fair, I didn't tell any of the others before you either.

I began to feel tense, and the atmosphere wasn't as pleasant as I would like. I didn't know what to say, but Asher clearly wanted to speak.

Asher: Maybe I'm overreacting.

Me: I know this is a shock, but---.

Asher: Honestly, it isn't.

Suddenly I felt myself lose all the words I wanted to say. Asher had taken me by surprise, and I was intrigued once more.

Me: It isn't?

Asher: No, I think I always knew, and I always wanted a friend in the LGBT community, so I can't complain.

Me: Cool, but what do you really think?

Asher: Josh, I will always love and support you, nothing changes, apart from the fact that I'm really proud of you for being so brave.

Me: Ash, you really are my best friend.

Asher: Back at you dude. I love you.

Me: I love you too.

Asher: And never let anyone make you feel inferior, because you are amazing.

Asher wrapped his arms around me, and I allowed myself to snuggle into his grip. I knew I was really lucky to have a friend like him, and with him in my corner, I would forever be stronger than any bigot.

After Joshua came out, I knew I had to write this.

I hope you enjoyed reading it.