33

y/n: "...hello?"

soobin: "y/n, what happened? Why are you crying? Are you okay?"

y/n: "I don't know. I don't know."

soobin: "Thank god, at least you're talking in Korean. Yeonjun isn't home right now. Okay. Okay, breathe first. Please."

y/n: (sobs)

soobin: "Oh god... y/n, please. You're killing me. It's killing me to hear you like this. Breathe and then tell me. Are you hurt? Are you safe?"

y/n: "Yes."

soobin: "Yes you're hurt or yes you're safe?"

y/n: "Both."

soobin: "Where are you?"

y/n: "Home."

soobin: "Are you alone?"

y/n: "Yes, but my best friend is coming later."

soobin: "Okay, good. Now can you please explain to me what happened? Slowly."

y/n: "I went to have dinner at my mom's house. My stepdad was there."

soobin: "Alright. How did that go?"

y/n: "Not well. And it wasn't even because of my stepdad, who was being so unbelievably nice. It was because of my mom."

soobin: "Why? What did she do?"

y/n: "She removed any and every trace of my dad in the house. It's as if he never even lived there. And she shoved everything in the basement, of all places. It feels so... wrong, Soobin. It makes me sick and angry just thinking about it."

soobin: "I'm so sorry. But maybe that's her way if coping."

y/n: "Maybe it is. But I hate it. It feels like she's killing my dad, and he's already dead."

soobin: "So you don't live with your mom, right?"

y/n: "No. I told her I wanted to move out to be closer to my college. But really I wanted to move out because her decisions lately haven't been the best ones, at least in my opinion. It's like... it's like she's chasing this fake happiness. She's trying to escape from any kind of sadness, and that's just impossible."

soobin: "y/n... I'm sorry, I wish I knew the whole story. I'm not saying you're not right. But maybe she's scared. Just as scared as you are. Maybe she just needs time."

y/n: "I know. And I'm willing to give her that. But she also needs to give me time, you know? And space. It's like she expected me to accept this new man in her life and act like everything is normal, when really my father died not too long ago. I can't just get over that."

soobin: "I understand. It's... it's not easy losing someone, is it?"

y/n: "It's not. It feels like you get punched in your gut, and every day that they're gone is like a nightmare. But I can't wake up."

soobin: "I'm so sorry. I keep saying it, I feel like I sound like a broken record, but I mean it. You're telling me that you go to school, work, help teach English to random strangers like me, and deal with all of this? I don't know how you're doing it."

y/n: "Talking about it really helps. I... Soobin, I really appreciate you listening to me. You must think I'm crazy. I don't mean to play the victim but... my life right now isn't exactly normal."

soobin: "My life isn't normal, either."

y/n: "It seems more normal than mine."

soobin: "Trust me... it's not."

y/n: "Hey."

soobin: "Yeah?"

y/n: "It's my first time hearing your voice while I'm sober."

soobin: (laughs) "Right. The last time you were a little tipsy. But our conversation was still like this: worrisome."

y/n: "I know, I'm sorry. I swear, one day we'll have a normal, happier conversation."

soobin: "One day... so this isn't our last phone call?"

y/n: "Oh. I-I meant... I mean..." (laughs) "I can't hide over the phone like I can over text."

soobin: (laughs) "You don't need to hide from me. I swear I am who I say I am."

y/n: "So you're really an 18 year old from South Korea?"

soobin: "Yes."

y/n: "Thank god. You sound like one, too. Actually, your voice is a little deeper than I remember it being. Then again, I was drunk as hell."

soobin: "Both versions of you are fine to talk to."

y/n: "Yeah. But I like the sober me best."

soobin: "Me too."