97

mom: "y/n."

y/n: "Mom. What are you doing here?"

mom: "You wouldn't answer my calls. Listen, I know you're upset--"

y/n: "Upset is an understatement, Mom."

mom: "Okay. I'm sorry."

y/n: "Why are you sorry? You're the one who got cheated on by that asshole."

mom: (sucks in a breath) "y/n. Please. I told you to not talk about your father that way."

y/n: "Why? Just because someone died doesn't mean it erases all of the terrible things they've done. If a criminal dies, do you think he's suddenly no longer a criminal?" 

mom: "That's not what I meant."

y/n: "Then what do you mean? Why are you covering him up? Him and that other woman, who he also apparently lied to, so I can't even be entirely mad at her because she had no clue about us. So am I not allowed to be mad? Can't I at least have that?"

best friend: "Hey, what's going on... oh. Hello, Mrs. [y/n's last name]."

mom: "Hi [best friend]."

best friend: "Is everything okay here?"

y/n: "No."

mom: "y/n... Can't we just talk?"

y/n: "We can if you stop trying to cover up Dad's lies."

mom: "I told you I wasn't sure that he was cheating. I spoke with that woman recently. We cleared things up. She's very ashamed and apologetic."

y/n: "You talked to her without me present?"

best friend: "y/n..."

mom: "You were very angry. You still are. I didn't think it was best for you and her to be in the same room."

y/n: "Mom, this is why I'm angry. Because you continue to keep things from me. First, you got married again right away. That I've already gotten over, because [stepdad] makes you genuinely happy and he's a nice person. Okay. That I can deal with. But before that, Dad was lying to us, you had your suspicions, and you kept all of that from me?"

mom: "I didn't think it was right to involve you. I wanted to protect you."

y/n: (sobs) "Well, look at me now, Mom! Do I look like I've been protected? Shouldn't you know that the truth always comes out?"

mom: "It was never my intention to hurt you. I'm sure it was never your dad's intention, either." 

y/n: "There. Covering him up. [best friend], I really can't right now. I'm sorry. I'm going to my room."

best friend: "Mrs. [y/n's last name], I'm really sorry. y/n is... She's very broken right now."

mom: "I know."

best friend: "I would say that in any other case, a parent would be the best person to call to calm their child down, but in this case... y/n is very hurt right now. I don't want to say anything further. It's not my place."

mom: "No, it's alright, [best friend], I understand. I'll..." (sigh) "I'll keep my distance for now. But please call me if anything happens to her. Please make sure she doesn't experience any more pain. She's still so young."

best friend: "Of course. I'm doing the best that I can. I'll call you if anything drastic happens."

mom: "Thank you. But... you understand my perspective, right? I was trying to protect her."

best friend: "I'm sure you were."