64

stepdad: "y/n."

y/n: "You're awake! Mom, he's awake!"

mom: "Oh, thank god."

stepdad: "My head is killing me."

y/n: "That's because someone banged their car into the left side of it."

stepdad: (chuckles, then winces)

y/n: "What's wrong? Should I get the nurse?"

stepdad: "It just hurts to laugh through my stomach, that's all."

mom: "I'll be right back, I'll get the nurse. They need to check in on you, anyway."

stepdad: (sighs) "She looks exhausted."

y/n: "She was worried sick about you. The police called her and the ambulance people said you'd lost a lot of blood... She thought..." (clears throat) "She's just really relieved that you're alright. That you're going to be alright."

stepdad: "And what about you?"

y/n: "Me?"

stepdad: "Are you relieved?"

y/n: "I'm... I mean, of course I am."

stepdad: "...y/n... I know we don't really know one another. I must be like a stranger invading your home. Replacing your dad. It's alright if you don't want to talk about it. I understand. I lost my dad at 16."

y/n: "...you did?"

stepdad: "I did. It was the most difficult time of my life. I became depressed. I holed myself up. I didn't want to hang out with anyone, and I certainly wasnt happy when my mom got remarried."

y/n: "Your mom got remarried?"

stepdad: "She did. I was pissed. It felt like she was stabbing my dad in the back. I never understood her and how she could do that. But now... I think I understand."

y/n: "How?"

stepdad: "It wasn't about replacing my dad. It was about loving him and herself, at the same time."

y/n: "I'm... I'm not sure I understand."

stepdad: "When my dad died, I think my mom wanted to honor him by doing whatever she thought he would want. And she forgot about herself. She forgot to love herself. And sometimes... that's the most painful thing about death. You forget yourself."

y/n: "I understand."

stepdad: "I will never replace your dad. There's only one of him, and there always will be. But I do love your mom and you."

y/n: (sniffles) "Sorry if I seem snobby."

stepdad: "You're not snobby. You're mourning. Those are two different things."