Chapter 15

Arisato Minako was dead?

It couldn't be possible...

Makoto refused to believe it.

It had to be some kind of sick joke.

It just had to be.

He wanted it to be.

Makoto stood in front of the girl's grave in mere silence, not caring that he was getting wet from the rain.

Was she...really gone forever?

Makoto's bangs covered his eyes and he felt glad it was raining. No one could see the few, slow tears that were falling down from his eyes.

It hurt.

Fuck, it hurt a lot.

He didn't want to accept this.

Makoto fell on his knees, wet dirt staining his clothes as he just stared at the grave in front of him.

He didn't even realise he was crying.

Makoto didn't cry ever since his parents died many years ago.

Makoto silently brought his hands up and then put them together and recited a prayer for the now deceased girl.

It was the least he could do.

Makoto just sat there, staring at the gravestone.

He let his hand run around it before letting another tear escape.

Makoto stood up after wiping the few tears on his face.

Thankfully, he didn't cry a lot. He wanted to cry where no one could see him, in his room. He saved his tears for then.

Makoto gave a final glance to Minako's grave with a sad smile and he walked back in silence to the car.

Makoto sat a little far from Ikutsuki with his eyes closed and head down.

"Oh, Makoto." Ikutsuki sighed. "This is why I didn't want to take you in the first place. But, I felt that you needed to know the truth instead of having false hopes that she would come back one day."

Makoto didn't say a word. His head was spinning.

"It must be very difficult for you, it shouldn't have ended up like this, I'm sorry." Ikutsuki took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. Inside, though, he felt satisfaction at Makoto's reaction.

"...She...Why did...How did she die?" Makoto asked, not raising his head.

"It was very unfortunate, Makoto." Ikutsuki started. "We had her locked up, instead of sending her to prison, we had to take pity on her. We were running several tests on her and it was difficult since Minako didn't want to cooperate with us at all. She managed to break free, break a glass flask and use the broken glass to kill a number of scientists on the spot. I didn't want to send Minako into custody, since it would quite troublesome. Minako, whether it was out of guilt for calling many people, or because she was sick of her life, she drank poison and died on the spot. I tried to save her, Makoto, believe me, I did."

Makoto clenched his fists, his breathing was unstable.

Was what Ikutsuki saying true?

"It would be best to move on with life, Makoto. You have so much ahead of you."

Makoto stayed quiet the whole ride.

After Ikutsuki dropped Makoto at the dormitory, Makoto walked inside the dorm with nothing to say.