Chapter 20

Darkness dazzles her.

"I know you're facing a difficult task. But I truly believe you can overcome any obstacle."

Minako floats in the air, watching with half lidded eyes as the darkness starts to stream away, taking her body with it. Nothing to nothing.

"Something frightful's going on...but we won't give up."

"That's right, dear...Minako-chan wouldn't want us to lose hope."

Light picks at the edges of her vision.

"I know in my heart, Minako-chan...You're doing all you can right now, aren't you? You've always helped me out. Now it's my turn to help you."

Her consciousness is slipping away, but it's fine. Her body is so much lighter now.

"Minako, things are going crazy right now, and I'm scared...but I'll be alright. I can feel from here you're doing your best. You have to believe...that you're not alone either."

It's fine.

"Everyone is scared...but not me. You showed me how to be tough! I won't give up."

There is a hand in hers, infinitely warm, infinitely strong.

Light, lighter. Everything away. Her body is so heavy, so cold. Ice sealing up the light. Just a little longer and it will all be goodnight.

"Minako? Minako? Wake up."

It's all over.

"Get up, Minako."

Whose voice was this? Ryoji's? It didn't sound like his, though.

Makoto?

"Minako."

Ice shrouds her heart, stop everything, darkness flowing, overflowing, Minako wanted to get out of this, it's only fair, it's only right-

"Minako."

Heat scores her heart. The ice breaks away.

Breathe again.

"You're alright, Minako."

Her limbs move, grasping at the light.

"Minako."

Infinite warmth enfolds her.

Red irises slowly come in view with magnificent grey ones--Makoto's eyes.

The two stare at each other in mere silence, not saying a word.

Her hands were on his chest, his arms wrapped around her, foreheads touching.

When did they get in this position again? This hugging position? Oh, she must've turned to the other side in her sleep.

"Morn--"

"You're still here." He interrupts.

She didn't know what to reply with.

"I am." She confirmed, still staring into his eyes.

Makoto closed his eyes, pulling her closer to him, hugging her and placing his head on her shoulder.

Minako guessed he was still tired. It was Sunday today. School was not open today.

Why was she letting him hug her like this? The last thing Minako wanted was to give Makoto false ideas or hopes. She didn't have the time or energy for relationships. Her mission was to prevent the Fall, not fall in love with the person she's supposed to protect. Minako would be lying if she said that she didn't have any feelings for Makoto. There were slight, but sure, it was there. Was it strong? Not entirely. Nothing made sense. In the upcoming days, Makoto would confess properly to her, right? So she needed to think of what to say. Reject or Accept? She didn't know.