Chapter 23

"So, did everyone enjoy the school trip?" Toriumi asked the class. "I didn't. I couldn't care less about shrines and temples."

"She never likes anything." Minako mumbled, looking at Yukari, who was sitting next to her.

"Tell me about it." Yukari shook her head. "I can barely stay awake when she talks."

"Career Week starts Tuesday. Just think of it as another boring field trip, for social studies." Toriumi informed. "Going out into the real world is pretty tough. By the end of the week, you'll understand. Myself, I'm glad for the chance to relax...Does anyone have any fond memories from the trip they would like to share? C'mon, now, don't hide your faces."

"Wake me up when it's over." Minako told Yukari before closing her eyes and falling asleep.

"You got it." Yukari patted the girl's back.

It was now after school.

"...I thought I was going to die from that punishment, but I don't regret a single thing." Ryoji grinned at Minako.
"..." Minako gave Ryoji a cold stare.

"J-Just kidding! I'm sorry! I'm truly sorry!" Ryoji waved his hands in the air. "It won't happen again! I am deeply sorry!"

"Whatever." Minako yawned, heading back to the dorm.

______________________________________

"I think rings are things that bind memories to the person who wears them." Ryoji explained, showing his ring to Minako and Makoto at Changall Cafe.

"Yeah." Makoto nodded.

"I think I get it." Minako said, sipping her coffee.

"This is my treasure." Ryoji chuckled. "I hope I'll get more and more treasures as life goes on."

Ryoji stopped talking and stared at Minako.

"What?" Minako questioned.

"Is that the same ring on your finger?"
Minako almost spat her coffee out of her mouth, losing her composure. "W-What are you talking about?!"

"...I understand." Ryoji gave a slightly disappointed look as he came back from his transformed state. "It's regrettable, but it's your life...You can do whatever you want with it. I will respect your decision."

"I won't kill you, Ryoji." She repeated the same words again. "I can't kill you, Ryoji."

"Minako..." He sighed deeply. "Let's go back to the lounge. I need to tell you guys how to confront Nyx."

"Yeah, I guess we should." Minako nodded.

She started to walk ahead but was stopped once Ryoji quickly took hold of her hand. "Oh...I should say my farewell to you, shouldn't I? This is the last time we'll be able to speak like this."

"...Don't just say that."

"Thank you...Goodbye..." He smiled warmly at her even at the face of death. "And...I'm sorry...I wish we could have had more time together."

"Me too." She squeezed his hand.

"It was nice." He nodded. "I'm glad we met. I glad I knew you as Mochizuki Ryoji. I'm glad we could share these last few moments together like this. Thank you."

Ryoji was smiling all while saying this.

Ryoji slipped off a ring that was on his finger.

"Could you...hold onto this?" He requested. "It's proof that I was human, for however short a time...If you held onto this for me, I...I think I'll be able to stand it."