Chapter 19

Each step down the stairs felt so heavy.

Makoto's head was filled with thoughts of Minako.

He just had to walk down one staircase. Minako was standing outside, wasn't she? Outside. That's what he saw, right? Each stair case had about twelve steps. But they felt like ninety-nine steps.

'I don't care. I have to see her.' Was all that went in Makoto's head.

He didn't walk. No matter how tired his legs were, since it was almost the middle of the night and he had to help out in the student council a lot that day, he ran.

Each step he passed, he spoke her name at least twice.

Many, many minutes later, they were actually seconds, though, he reached downstairs. He dragged his legs and his eyes anxiously searched for the desired outside exit. It was right there, in front of him.

...

What if his depression was playing tricks on him again?

What if he was dreaming again?

Was this all a lie?

Would he wake up and find out it wasn't true?

Aw, fuck. Why was he over thinking this anyway? Shouldn't he just open the door and check himself? It was just simple as that.

Problem was, he didn't want to be disappointed again.

Makoto's hands were shaky as he held the doorknob.

How did he fall in love with her this much again?

The mere thought of Minako scared him now. He didn't know what to expect.

His friends constantly told him that Minako was dead, gone and that she wasn't coming back anymore. The day SEES found out they fucked up badly, it wasn't a pretty sight. They all blamed themselves. But they came on terms to move on with life now. What's done is done. And what's gone is gone.

His head was running wild again. He had been having real bad dreams. He needed a reason, just a little reason to why he should open these doors right now. Would he only see dust again? Makoto broke a lot these past months.
But was he broken this bad that he wouldn't check one more time?

He was.

But he would check again and again. No matter how much it would hurt him.

Makoto recalled a memory of yesterday.

Makoto was sitting in his room, doing his homework, Minako's headphones in his ears.

That's right, he was wearing hers.

His own were placed on his neck.

He felt sort of peaceful having both those headphones near him, close as possible.

Makoto's eyes shifted to his phone which was ringing. It was right beside the notebook he was working on.

He let out a small sigh before reading the caller id. It was Yukari.

Unwillingly, Makoto decided to pick it up, thinking it could have been important.

"Hey, Yuuki-kun." A feminine voice said.

"Mm."

"I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you right now." Yukari breathed, also probably cold due to the weather. "I was remembering Minako."

Makoto flinched.

That topic was extremely sensitive to him.

His grip on his pen tightened. "And?"