Familiarity

"Every night it's the same

"Every night it's the same. I'm walking and running, but I'm not me. I'm running through the godswood, sniffing the dirt, tasting blood in my mouth when I've made a fresh kill, howling. Old Nan used to tell me stories about magical people who could live inside stags, birds, wolves."

Jaidyn and Maester Luwin day at Bran's bedside as he told them of his dreams. The girl listened worried about him especially at how he stated it. It wasn't an easy adjustment for the boy who loved to be adventurous to go through. Not to mention, all the other things that had happened.

"That's exactly what they are, Bran, stories." Jaidyn noted that the old lady was always fond of telling stories to them when they were kids. Most of them far fetched things that couldn't possibly be true.

"So she was lying? They don't exist?" Bran questioned just wanting an explanation to what he was experiencing.

"Well they may have been." Maester Luwin began to explain. "But they're gone from the world, along with much else. These are dreams, Bran, nothing more."

The maester had many years of learning and if dragons existed long ago then any couldn't people live inside animals. But he also didn't want to give the boy a sense of false hope that he could live precariously inside an animal.

"No, my dreams are different. Mine are true. I dreamt of my father dying. And Rickon had the same dream." Bran tried to justify for them both.

Hearing the reasoning made Jaidyn sigh. She had heard about their dreams and tried to make sense of it and chalked it down to their connection to their father. She believed that if you truly care about someone, then you would be connected to them, therefore, being able to sense certain things.

"What about the dreams you had that didn't come true?" Jaidyn asked knowing that he had more than one dream trying to ease his mind.

"Right." Maester Luwin added on trying to find a way to explain to the boy using his chains. "This link is made of Valyrian steel. Only one maester in 100 wears it on his chain. It signifies that I have studied the higher mysteries. And all who study these mysteries try their hand at spells. I was no different. I was young. And what boy doesn't secretly wish for hidden powers to lift him out of his dull life into a special one?"

Jaidyn listened intently to Maester Luwin as well in fact, it was the first time that she had ever heard about him talk about his studies. She always wondered about how maester's lives were before and how they had managed to get into their current life. But to hear about being able to learn about many mysteries wanted her to know more.

"But in the end, for all my efforts, I got no more out it than a thousands boys before me. Maybe magic once was a mighty force in the world. But not anymore. The dragons are gone. The giants are dead. And the Children of the Forest forgotten." Maester Luwin finalized to much of Bran's dismay.