Assimilation

Jaidyn was weary during the rest of the trip especially since the last encounter

Jaidyn was weary during the rest of the trip especially since the last encounter. When they rested, she kept Aden close with her sword fastened tight on her hip. But her new companion merely kept his distance.

"What is your name?" Jaidyn asked curious to know her mysterious savior.

"Collen." He answered as they took a break and rested.

"Why haven't you tried to attack me yet? If the mountain men have heard of my bounty then you must know of my worth. Why aren't you trying to claim it?" Jaidyn asked trying to see if he could be trusted.

"I told you my commander does not care about-" Collen tried to explain.

"I wasn't speaking about your commander. I was speaking about you as a man in Westeros." She spoke more clearly.

"There are many evils in this world. We all have a choice whether to partake in the evilness." He began to state before looking at her. "The world had been trying to turn me into a monster for as long as I can remember. I don't blame you for keeping a hold of your child and have a hand on your sword."

After his words, he looked down and noticed how tight she had the handle in her hands. Her knuckles white as she thought the worst. But now as he spoke she realized that he was simply trying to do good in a world full of bad. And she was not helping thinking that he might turn against her and her child.

"I'm sorry." She apologized after she released her sword. "And thank you for what you did for me and my child before. I'm Jaidyn."

The night crept on them fast enough that Jaidyn hadn't realized until Collen had stopped. She had assumed it was another quick break until he announced that he would gather the firewood. After the fire was built, she had rocked Aden to sleep and as she watched him sleep, she wondered about their future.

"Tell me about your people, your commander." Jaidyn asked Collen see how she wanted to know everything she could about the place they would be.

"My people have been around since the beginning of man, just like everyone else. But when the Dragons took over we were pushed into the mountains. There we stayed while the world of men fought against one another." Collen began to tell the tale of his people and how they prevailed. "Many times have those kings tried to come and control our army but our commander is strong and smart. They are the reason we survive."

Jaidyn listened with such interest as he detailed the people. She wondered how someone like her could change a commander's mind and convince them to help their cause. If they would even venture from their mountain and enter into a war that wasn't their own.