6

~Iris' POV~

I was reminded of how close my room was to Luke's later that night, very unfortunately for me. I'd been trying to sleep, as I always did at night, while Cassie snored loudly beside me as she slept. She wasn't kicking me this time, so that was nice, but she was still being loud. Much too loud for me to ignore it.

I rolled onto my side, facing away from her, and curled up into a ball. I was hoping if maybe I could tune her snores out, then I'd be able to fall asleep. Therefore, I buried my head under the covers and then also buried my head beneath my pillow. For a second, I thought it might've worked. Her snores weren't completely unable to be heard, obviously, but they were quiet enough now that I was sure I could've fallen asleep.

Until Luke decided to start having sex, of course.

Why he was having sex at almost two AM, I have no idea, but it was really inconvenient for my sleep schedule. I only knew it was Luke because the girl, whoever she was, was practically screaming his name to the heavens. I scowled under my blankets, pulling my pillow harder over my head to try to block it out, to no avail. It did next to nothing. Was this little shithead doing this on purpose?

For a while, I tried to tune him and the girl out, but there was no way I was going to get to sleep while they were participating in their activities. I rolled out of my bed, an angry and annoyed scowl on my face as I stalked towards the bedroom door and swung it open. I didn't know how nobody else heard them, or how they were all just sleeping right through it. I should've maybe gone to bed earlier, but going to bed early wasn't something I did. I just didn't work that way. It wasn't hardwired into me.

The house was dark, like it always was at night, as I headed down the stairs, tightly gripping onto the stair rail. My steps were slow and careful, not wanting to accidentally miss a step and go tumbling down the steps. Sighing deeply, I trudged my way into the kitchen, not even bothering to turn the lights on this time. I just didn't care.

Without looking at what I was grabbing, I swung open the fridge and grabbed a soda before I slammed it shut again. The can was cold against my skin and lightly hissed into the air as I opened it, a loud popping sound filling the kitchen when it opened. I maneuvered my way over to the dining room, glad that it was much quieter down here than it was upstairs. I could still hear them, of course, but thankfully it was very faint. I sat at the table with my soda, taking a sip from it before I realized something at the taste.

I had grabbed Luke's sacred Dr. Pepper.

I panicked a little, not wanting to get in trouble again. I hadn't meant to grab the Dr. Pepper. I was hoping it was a Coca Cola, but clearly not. In the midst of my panic, I set the open can on the table in front of me and just sat there in the dark, like an idiot. I couldn't put it back, obviously. It was already open. Opening it and then putting it back might've been even worse than actually drinking it. Considering my choices, I bit my lip and lightly shrugged to myself. Either I could put it back, drink it, or pour it out.

Obviously, though, I wasn't putting it back and nor was I going to pour it out. That'd just be wasting it. That was why I chose to drink it instead. Surely he couldn't get too mad, right? It was just a soda, after all, and it had been an accident.

Quickly, I picked it up and began practically chugging it, trying to finish it off as quickly as possible. However, I'd always sucked at chugging drinks, so I scrunched my nose up and lowered the can back down to the table in refusal after one sip. Whenever I chugged sodas, I felt gross and weird. It was just too much sugar all at once and I couldn't do it. I'd just have to drink it normally, I guess.

I drank it slowly, a good twenty or thirty minutes passing as I sat by myself. I was just trying to wait until Luke finished with the girl in his room, so I could try to go to bed after. A whole goddamn hour must've gone by before I realized the house was completely silent, aside from the footsteps that were jogging down the stairs. It didn't take a genius to know that it was Luke. I could tell by the heaviness of the steps.