23

~Iris' POV~

A few days later

I started out of the backdoor of Luke's cabin, my body thrumming with irritation after yet another argument with him. I hadn't even bothered to let him finish what he had been saying to me and instead had just stormed out right in the middle of our argument, no longer caring what he had to say to me. It wasn't like I hadn't heard it all before, or at least some version of it. I didn't need to hear it again.

Absentmindedly, I made my way into the woods, deciding I needed to get away from both the cabin and Luke. I was sure if I had stuck around him long enough to hear him finish what he was going to say to me, I would've punched him. That was usually how I felt after anything he said to me in an argument.

The leaves crunched beneath my feet as I stomped my way through the trees, not really paying attention to where I was going. I just kept walking and walking, reaching deeper and deeper into the woods until I reached an area that I was completely certain nobody here had seen before. I broke out of the woods and into a wide open area, somewhat like the field that held the small swimming hole that Luke had brought us to once. This, however, was different.

This area extended out from the woods, going down into a shore of beige sand around the entrance of the body of water. This body of water was absolutely ginormous, not to mention that it seemed very out of place, being that it was in the middle of the woods. I suppose nature did what it wanted to do, though.

My eyes swept over the clear blue water, so distracted by my find that I only grew more surprised when my gaze landed on a waterfall. It wasn't a super large one, but it definitely put out enough water to be called a waterfall. The water fell loudly, dumping off the top edge of the cave that seemed to be hidden behind the curtain of water. The cave looked to be accessible, since the flow of the water wasn't too heavy. As I stared at the sight in front of me, I made a firm decision that I absolutely would be swimming here in the future. Well, if I could ever find my way back here again, that is.

Once I realized that I had no idea where I was or how far out I'd gone, or even what way I'd gone, I panicked. Had I really just gotten myself lost in the goddamn woods? Why did I have to be an idiot?

Suddenly wanting to get back to the cabin right away, I spun around, knowing the sun would probably be setting soon. It'd be even harder to find my way back in the dark, so I needed to get going now or I'd probably be fucked. However, as I spun around, I screamed at the sight of a tall figure just standing there where I'd walked out from. "Jesus!" I stumbled back, staring at him while my heart raced in my chest.

"How flattering, but it's just me." Luke teased, arms crossed over his broad chest.

I scowled at him, clenching my hands into frustratedly angry fists as our gazes stayed interlocked. "This is quite the place you've discovered, doll face." He remarked, breaking the silence suddenly. His blue eyes danced around the sight behind me, seeming to find it just as pretty as I had. He definitely hadn't known of it until now either. "Why are you here? Did you fucking follow me?" I snapped, my nails digging into my palms.

A smirk pulled up at the edge of his lips, his blue eyes gazing at me intently. "Maybe just a little." He admitted, not an ounce of shame in his voice. He acted as if just following me through the woods was completely normal. I wasn't sure how I hadn't noticed him following me. "Oh, a little?" I repeated, scoffing. "And why did you follow me "just a little," pray tell?" I mocked, staring at him angrily. I hadn't appreciated that he'd taken the liberty of just following me even though I'd left with the intention of getting away from him, which he was well aware of.

His pretty eyes glimmered, stepping closer to me. His scent wafted towards me, smelling of cherries, pineapple and something warm. Goosebumps involuntarily rose on my skin at the scent. "I figured you'd do something like this." He said simply, shrugging. I frowned at him, a little confused. "Like what?" I asked.