Chapter One (The Lord of the Sky)

The walls were closing in on me. It was somehow stuffy despite every window and door  in the room that lead to the outside being thrown open. I was having trouble focusing on what I was doing when the thought of jumping out of the window and flying until I lost sight of the world behind me became so appealing.

I felt as stuck as a bird locked in a bird cage.

My fingers drummed against the wooden desk, tapping out the first rough draft for the paper I was puzzling over. I tuned out the birds that were borderline screaming behind me, thinking only of the paper sitting in front of me and completely lost to the world.

That is until a series of knocks on my door startled me out of my reverie.

Before I could say or do anything, Alexander's voice drifted in, apprehensive but overpowered by excitement and emotion. "Hey, Thomas! Can I come in?"

I leaned back in my chair, smiling at just his voice. "Yeah, please."

The door opened; a smiling Alexander stepped inside and closed it behind him. I quickly covered the paper underneath some unfinished blueprints for an abandoned machine idea, but not fast enough to where he didn't notice.

"What are you doing?" he asked, amusement filling his voice as he joined me.

"Writing," I returned, vague but teasing.

"Ooh, I wanna see!"

"Too bad." I grinned. It was perhaps a bad idea to provoke Alexander though. He shot forwards and pushed the blueprint away, grabbing the paper before I could react.

He stared down at the paper, frowning in confusion. Alex studied it for a while, like it was a riddle he didn't understand. Finally, he looked back up at me, puzzled. "Sheet music?"

"Yeah," I said, taking it back from him and putting it away in the drawer I had designated for it.

"Why—"

"I was interested in it. It's fascinating how humans were able to put sounds. On paper. Do you not find that at least sort of cool?"

It wasn't a complete lie.

Alexander stared at me for a moment, not totally convinced, but he smiled and seated himself on my bed.

"Honestly, I'm surprised you're still awake."

"Why? What time is it?"

"I don't know? Twelve?"

"You don't know?"

"There aren't exactly clocks here, Thomas."

I slid the seat away from the desk and stood up so I could get a clear view of the window. The land was completely bathed in darkness, and the moon was hanging high in the sky, shining its brilliant beams into the clouds. There was no refreshing wind; it was still and humid.

It was later than I thought.

"Well, if it's so late, what are you doing here?" I teased, putting the fountain pen away and joining him.

Alexander's smile fell, his eyes retreating to the blanket.

I paused, smile slipping from my face. "Alex?" My stomach plummeted as I desperately searched his posture and expression for clues.
What happened? Was something wrong?

"I was wondering if maybe I could sleep with you tonight? Wait, no! That came out wrong—not that I'd be against that! But that wasn't—"

I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek gently, hiding the relief that soared through my body. "I know what you meant."