Letter Four

My friend,
James Madison

Where can I even begin?

I'm so sorry, James. I'm so sorry for everything. I should have told you the moment I found out, but I didn't.

In all respects, this should have been the second or even first letter I wrote, but I had to work up the courage to because I know I'll probably be reduced to tears by the end of it.

I have known you my entire life. You know me far better than I know myself. And throughout the course of this entire journey, you have been at my side like the older brother I never had. Whether wanted or not, I always did appreciate your advice and your help.

Frankly, without it, I doubt I would have ended up where I did. I would never have joined the Revolution if it weren't for you.

I know what you're going to try to do immediately after you put down this letter, and I strongly advise you not to do it. In fact, as your lord, I order you not to. None of this was your fault, James, and I don't want you to think for even a moment that it was.

I love you, okay?

You've been my closest friend for so long, and there is absolutely nothing someone else could give me to replace that.

You said something a while ago that I've held onto for as long as I could. You mentioned that even when you joke around about how much you hate me, you still really care.

I'd have to be lying to say I didn't feel the same way about you.

You've been there when nobody else was. You've supported me in ways nobody else could. You understand what nobody else could begin to comprehend.

I have to thank you for everything.

Divinity's children, I think I'm about to cry.

And don't you dare start. We look to you for your unbreakable logic and reason, and you better not feel anything now, understand me?

Divinity, what else am I supposed to say here?

How can I put into words everything we've been through together? Through every maze and every trial, every war and every winter, every drought and every famine?

Thanks for being there. For being my friend.

And thank you for being so supportive of me and Alexander. I can't truly describe the relief I felt when you told me you were just glad I was happy.

Can you take care of him for me? For just a little bit? Please make sure he doesn't get hurt.

I wish you nothing but the best moving forward. This is your chance to finally rise. To show the world who the Avion are.

I believe you would make a much better leader of Avionerra than I ever could have, but unfortunately that's not how the world goes.

Can you tell my family I miss them?

I'll miss you, too.

I really did see you as part of my family.

Thank you, James.

Yours,
Thomas