Chapter Four

Alexander smiled widely through his sleepy gaze, something that made me feel lighter than air. He leaned forwards and placed a quick gentle kiss to my forehead, cupping my face delicately in his hands.

"Good morning," he mumbled, still tired from the nap.

"It's afternoon." I glanced at the window and sighed. The sky above was a perfect shade of blue without a single cloud hovering in the monochromatic shade. The sun had already started to descend, however, bringing an end to what had been, so far, a wonderful day.

He nudged me gently with his elbow and sat up, stretching out his arms. "Sleep well?" he asked before kissing me again.

I smiled into it, leaning closer to his body. He was cold, but he was refreshingly cold. "Yeah," I murmured, breaking away but still keeping myself close to him. He didn't look too pleased at that. "What about you? Same dreams?"

Alexander nodded once, which contrasted his light smile. I wrapped my hand around his wrist gently and poured all of my warmth into him in exchange for the chill. His expression eased into one of comfort, and I was rewarded with yet another kiss.

"Do we have any plans for later?"

"I don't think so. It's already well past midday."

Alexander moved his wrist so that he was holding my hand. "Good." He leaned in until our foreheads were touching.

"You're ridiculous when you're tired," I murmured, hoping the teasing would conceal the feeling that swept my body at his touch, leaving chills in its wake.

"You adore me when I'm tired."

"Do I really?"

Alexander grinned up at me, eyes alight with a playful teasing. "You absolutely do."

And this is why I couldn't control myself. He was a drug, a dangerous addictive drug that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't force myself off of. The withdrawal symptoms were just too great, and they weren't even worth it.

Because without him, what am I?

"Well, if you say so."

"Maybe we should go visit Migellis today. You never went through with your promise, you know."

"I am quite sorry," I mock-apologized. "'Twas not of my intentions to upset thee, Oh Great One."

Alexander didn't look too amused at that, but his flat glare was soon replaced by a sly smile. He brought my hand up to his mouth and kissed my knuckles. "Consider your apology accepted."

"I stand by what I said earlier. You are ridiculous." I could feel the heat already rushing to my cheeks, and the only thing I could do was hope he didn't see how that simple action rendered me.

"Thank you. I do try, you know."

I've always prided myself on my independence and ability to withstand solitude happily, even embracing it. In fact, sometimes I think people were bothersome and annoying. But every inkling of that feeling completely disappears when I'm with Alexander.

I moved to lean my head on his shoulder as my eyes started to grow heavy. Despite just waking up from a nap, I was already desperately searching for another. Maybe because it would be another reason to spend time with him, even if we weren't doing anything. Maybe then I wouldn't feel so guilty or that I was wasting his time.

Alexander kissed my forehead again, but this time I lifted my chin so that his lips were on mine. His lips curved into a smile, and he prolonged the kiss perhaps a little bit more than was necessary. A dangerous indulgence, but we succumbed to it anyway.