Chapter Eleven

I was having trouble staying calm as I soared through the still dusk air. Everything seemed wrong. Nothing felt normal.

I flew like the king's entire army was chasing after me. I flew until my wings grew sore, which was significantly quicker than usual. I flew until I broke through the barrier and saw a faint yellow glow from the castle up ahead. And all the time, I had no clue what was wrong with me.

I landed on the terrace and stopped, panting desperately to catch air.

Finally, when I was sure I was safe, I took a good look at myself.

Oh. Fuck. No.

How? This shouldn't have been possible.

I heard a voice suddenly, cutting into the ambiance of the evening. "I don't like it. He's still not back yet?" I glanced over to my left, where the voices had been coming from.

"Don't worry, Belletra," said another, Amica. "I'm sure Thomas is fine."

I relaxed, but before I could find my energy and prepare to wrap it around myself so I could transform back, I heard another voice.

"Where do you think he is?"

I peered into the darkness, this time really looking.

Alexander was leaning against the railing, his head in his hand. He was staring out at the world below, the fingers of his other hand gripping the wood perhaps a bit too tightly. I looked up at his face. On the surface, he looked bored. But I know I didn't imagine the thin layer of tears that were welling up in his eyes.

"Should he be back by now? I knew I should have left the instant Hercules got back."

Was he talking to Amica and Belletra, or was he talking to himself.

"Don't worry," Amica said, though he had to know that Alex couldn't understand him. "He'll be alright."

"He's gotten out of worse things than this," Belletra agreed.

Alexander didn't respond, instead burying his head in his hands. "I hope he's okay." So simple, so genuine. So heartbreaking.

I knew I should try and change back then and there, to let him know I was alright and safe. But something was holding me away from it.

I turned to stare at the darkening sky, picking out a single star that had risen up early.

I sent my mind out to it. I don't know what I was hoping for. Advice? Help? Something at least, even if it was stupid.

There was no response.

There hadn't been, not since I started to change.

I flinched away from it and moved closer to Alexander, coming into the light of the candle that was sitting next to him.

Alexander perked up and looked over at me. "Hello there. Are you one of Thomas's birds?"

"Uh, hi," I said sheepishly.

"Oh. Divinity's children. What happened to you?" said Amica.

"It's a long story," I snapped back at him. In truth, it wasn't, but I didn't want to go through that kind of embarrassment just yet.

"Hey there little guy," Alexander said, placing his hand lightly on my back and scratching it gently. "Is Thomas alright?"

"Oh, right there," I said, stretching my neck so he could get that one spot that just felt so good.

"Is that a yes or a no? Chirp once for yes."

"That feels really nice."

"You're pathetic," said Belletra.