Chapter Two

I wiped the blood off of my sword, careful not to let any of the steel touch my bare skin. I hummed to myself while doing so, the same routine of fighting and killing becoming nothing less than normal.

When I was finished, I quickly sheathed it and took a step back, observing the newly won village. It didn't feel much of a victory, considering how easily we managed to drive out the Kingsmen, but anything we could get, we would take.

General Washington was discussing with the leader of the village, no doubt being showered in thanks for our services or whatnot.

It was a small settlement, barely big enough to earn the rank of town, but its position between two rivers and its location inside the region of Pilésion made it somewhat valuable. The people of the town made a living off of the trade and the docks that rested on both sides of the island.

I had no interest in what the others had interest in. Talking to the citizens casually, recounting stories, making sure everybody was okay. None of those things were exactly my strong suit, and I think we were all okay with the roles that everyone had taken up. Instead, I stood next to a tree and watched carefully for any more attacks or something that could put everyone's life in harm's way.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pull on the sleeve of my coat.

I looked down to see a little girl, hardly older than four or five, staring up at me with wide innocent eyes that were almost afraid. She held up something to me.

"Hi," she murmured timidly, her arms extended as far as they could go to offer me the gift.

I smiled welcomingly at her and slid down into a sitting position, accepting the small doll that somewhat resembled a winged horse from her hands as lightly as possible. "Thank you so much! I'll take good care of them. What's your name?"

It hurt that a child so small could be at the center of a war so big.

"I'm Mary! And that's Jack!"

"Really? That's a beautiful name! You know, I have a sister named Mary." I held out my hand to her, trying to hide my amusement at how small hers was compared to mine. "I'm Thomas. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance!" I teased softly.

She smiled, proud of herself. "Are your wings real?"

I nodded. "Aren't they cool?"

"Are you one of the bird persons that my mother tells me about?!"

"I guess I am! I hope you've heard nothing but good things about us, though I guess we can be a little... birdbrained sometimes, no?"

She giggled, though probably more at the delivery than at the joke itself. "Thank you for getting rid of those people. They were mean."

"They were mean," I gently agreed. "Have you started learning magic yet?"

She shook her head, mouth falling open as if she couldn't believe what I had said. "My mamas won't let me learn magic," she said the word quietly. "They say it's dangerous."

"It can be dangerous, but that's why we have to learn how to do it! So we can control it and keep the people we care about safe. Here, I'll show you what to do. Close your eyes and reach out with your mind."

She did as I instructed.

"If you focus really hard, you can see a bunch of glowing blobs. That's energy, our life force."

The little girl gasped. "I see them!"

I taught her how to control it, how to harness it for her needs, and a small easy spell that took next to no effort at all while transforming the energy into small firefly like dots of light.