Chapter Twenty

I waited in the doorway, watching Thomas without saying a word. His head was ducked over what looked to be a display case, and his fingers were lingering on the glass lightly. "Hey," I said finally, drawing his attention.

He glanced up at me. He didn't have to smile for me to feel the warmth he felt too merely because I was standing here. "Hey."

"Can I come in?"

"Aren't you already in?"

"Fair enough." My fingertips left the wooden frame of the door as I slipped into the room. "You know, I don't think I've ever been in here before. Why was that?"

"Privacy. I didn't go barging in your room whenever I wanted, did I?" he teased.

"Well..."

"Shut up," he said, grinning, as his head fell back to the display case. I joined him standing over it and tried not to frown at the dark gray shade of his wings. I avoided them as if their mere touch would be enough to shatter, whether it was him or me.

"What's all this?" I asked, peering into the case.  Medallions and jewelry glimmered in the morning sunlight. Small slips of paper which resembled tickets and postcards lined the shelves.

"Nothing important. Just a few stuff from my time here on Earth." He stepped away from it and went to retrieve his sword scabbard laying on the floor next to the bed. "Ready for Nevis?"

"I never thought I'd be going back there. I don't even know if I've ever been there!"

Thomas walked up to me and tilted my chin up gently. Warmth exploded through my face, and it wasn't just from his magic. "Whatever happens, I'll be right next to you. Okay?"

"Okay." I cupped his face in my hands and found his lips.

He pushed me away after a moment. "Can I talk to you?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

Thomas sighed, his shoulders slumping as he went to sit on the bed. It was a minute before he took a deep breath and met my gaze solidly. "I wanted to thank you, Alexander. For being... so supportive of me." He took another deep breath, as if that would push away tears. "I don't deserve it, and I don't deserve you, but I really wanted to thank you. For everything. I don't think you really understand how much it means to me."

I stepped in front of him and took his hand in mine, kissing his knuckles just to see him smile. "Of course Thomas," I breathed softly. "I'd fight by you no matter what."

"That brings me to another point." He swallowed and dropped his gaze. "If I Change... permanently... I'd really appreciate if..."

He didn't have to complete the sentence for me to know where he was going. "Thomas... that's horrible."

"I know, but can you promise me that? I'd rather die by your hand than live and hurt you."

I couldn't find the ways to put what I was thinking into words, so I gripped his hand tighter and nodded. "I promise." But even as the words pooled from my mouth, I doubted them. How could I kill the only person who's ever meant anything to me?

He lingered on the bed for a bit longer than was necessary before standing up. "Come on. We've got stuff we need to take care of, as much as I would love to do nothing here forever with you."

I rolled my eyes at him and stole another kiss quick enough to catch him off guard. He cocked an eyebrow at me but refused to complain as he led me out of his room and where everyone else was waiting, dressed and ready to go as their usual scary, intimidating selves.