Letter Two

Thank you General Washington,

Thank you for everything.

I may not have exactly learned magic or weaponry underneath you. I may have come to you already knowing how to fight and how to win. I may have even come to you believing that I was better at it than you were at first due to the stupid confidence I had in my youth.

But from you, I have learned so much more than how to point a sharp stick or hurl a flaming ball of magic.

I know that I have never been your favorite, and I completely understand why. I was immoral, selfish, and did whatever it took to win, even if it meant the killing of innocent civilians. I wasn't a leader despite my very existence being for the purpose of ruling.

I also believed that I knew best, and that you didn't.

But even if I wasn't your favorite, I still absolutely adored you.

I learned how a true leader acts, selfless and strong, caring and compassionate.

I learned the importance of cooperation and teamwork and how to put others before yourself, even if it means your death.

I learned how to be brave even in the face of impending death. Even when every card is stacked against you.

When I started to fight for this rebellion, I did it for myself. I fought for my own selfish fantasy of freedom and revenge. But as time wore on and I followed your footsteps, my motivations slowly changed. Soon, I began to fight for Avionerra, for the people who I could have one day led.

Because of you, I began to fight for my family, my friends, and my region.

At first, I wanted nothing more than to be rid of my duty and my possible future as a lord. I wanted to throw it all away into the dust and leave it far behind me, and I was sure that the war would help with that.

But then I met you, and you showed me the importance of accepting your responsibilities and being the leader that your people need.

You are the shining example of what a leader is supposed to be. And when you all win, I wouldn't want anyone more than you to be the next king of Perriterra.

I know I have let you down. I have failed every single one of your lessons in the end. I tried to be selfless and I failed. I tried to be cooperative and loyal, and I failed.

I tried to be brave, and I failed.

But even despite my failures, please know that I took every lesson to heart and I tried my best to make you proud, to not let you down.

My own father was killed mercilessly by the hands of the treasonous tyrant that we know as King George. And even though he is dead and gone, I have never truly felt fatherless.

You have taught me more than anyone else ever has, whether intentional or not.

I owe my very being to you, because without the compassion or trust that you have showed me, I truly doubt I would have lived as long as I did.

So thank you, General Washington.

Thank you for everything.

Your loyal student,
Thomas