Chapter 8 - Host

Izuku stormed through the corridors of the club in a fog of anger. 'How dare Kirishima butt in on my problems, he doesn't know Kaachan like I do, he has no idea. He doesn't understand what I'm going through at all. I deserve whatever Kaachan throws at me,' Izuku huffed as he continued on blindly. He was so lost in thought that he didn't spot the blonde man that stepped out in front of him and proceeded to walk straight into him. It felt like walking into a brick wall and Izuku crashed down to the floor yelling in shock as he looked up at the mass that stood in front of him.

"Oh ho, Deku my boy!" Toshinori exclaimed as he bent down and helped Izuku to his feet. "You should watch where you're walking, young man haha," he said with a barking laugh before taking in the small boy's appearance and frowning.

Izuku was fidgeting on his feet again with his arms wrapped around himself and he was refusing to make eye contact with Toshinori, looking everywhere except the man's face. Toshinori's frown deepened and he spoke quietly as if speaking to a frightened animal, "Come with me Deku." he said, stepping to the side of the corridor and indicating to Izuku that he should walk ahead of him. "It looks like you need to talk."

At All Might's signal Izuku slumped in on himself appearing to give up, slowly wrenching his feet from the floor and forcing himself to move. He followed the pathway along and found himself at the main bar of the club. Toshinori gestured for him to sit on one of the bar stools and then stepped up behind the bar, grabbing two glasses as he did. He analysed the boy sitting across from him. His skin was pale and he had bags under his eyes. There were bruises hiding just under his collar and peaking out of his hair line and he kept rubbing at his arm. It looked as if he hadn't eaten a decent meal in days, with his face and frame looking awfully thin.

"First question Deku, and answer me honestly. When did you last eat something?" he said gently but with an edge of discipline to his tone. Izuku stared at the wooden top of the bar, unseeing eyes unfocused in front of him. He racked his brain, trying to remember the last time he ate but he couldn't think clearly. It was like someone had poured sludge into his ears and stopped his mind from functioning. He felt drained, physically and mentally, all fight having left him.

"I don't... r-remember..." he croaked out, now staring down at his lap in shame. Toshinori made a sound of disapproval, before walking off towards the kitchen and pushing the doors open. Izuku could just make out voices beyond the large metal doors but couldn't hear what they were saying.

'I'm causing everyone so much trouble, they are worrying about me for no good reason. I'm fine, everything is fine. Kaachan didn't mean to hurt me, deep down he cares right?... I know he does... " Izuku's mind began to spiral again, anguished thoughts vying for his attention one after the other, too fast to comprehend. After a few minutes Toshinori returned with a large plate piled high with sandwiches and placed it in front of Izuku, pushing it right under his nose.

Looking up Izuku chanced at glance at All Might who was now standing with his arms crossed sternly staring down at the green haired boy. The look clearly said "Eat now, before I force feed it you." Izuku winced at the look and glanced back down at the plate, staring at the food. His stomach let out a huge growl at the sight of the food which made Izuku blush before he grabbed a sandwich. They sat in silence as Izuku ate the entire plate slowly, occasionally taking a sip of the water Toshinori had poured for him.

When he'd finished, he looked up sheepishly feeling a fraction better and pushed the plate back across the counter, smiling weakly. All Might nodded approvingly and returned the plate to the kitchen before returning to his place behind the bar.

The large blonde man stood there x-raying Izuku, much to the smaller boys' displeasure. It made him shift uncomfortably in his chair and stare back down at his lap.