Chapter 13 - Cornered

Standing directly outside the door he had just slammed, Izuku stood frozen in place staring. His blood shot eyes stared unblinking at its surface, waiting and hoping for something to happen. He could hear his heart pounding in his ears.

Thump thump thump

Nothing, the door didn't open.

Thump thump thump

Still nothing, Izuku clenched his fisits tightly digging his nails into his palms.

Thump thump thu-

His heart stopped as he heard a noise from inside the apartment, a noise like a wounded animal falling to pieces. That's all it took to break Izuku's resolve and he ran.

He didn't stop running until he was at least two blocks away, where he crumpled against a wall in an alley off of the main street. Panting he tried to catch his breath, clinging to his side as the pain from a stitch ripped through him with every breath.

'What the heck is wrong with me? Shoto actually likes me, why did I run away? But I'd just hurt him so it's better I stay away. If Kaachan finds out I've seen him he could hurt me again, or worse go after Shoto. It's just like Kaachan says, I'm pathetic and useless. I couldn't possibly make someone happy. I just bring misery to everyone around me. I don't deserve to be happy.' Izuku sat on the ground of the ally for a long time lost in a spiral of self hatred, steadily descending into the darkness.

After what could have been minutes or hours an eerie calm fell over Izuku and he stood eyes still red from tears. He began walking, keeping his eyes downcast so anyone he saw on the street wouldn't see his dishevelled state. After a long walk he found himself returning home. Stopping outside of his front door he hesitated, hand hovering over the handle. His body felt heavy with exhaustion, his eyes barely staying open. Weariness had infected every inch of his body and he knew if he entered his home, his mother would be there and they would fight. But he also knew if he turned up to his only other safe haven, the club, All Might would take one look at him and send him home anyway.

Stealing himself he grabbed the handle and entered the apartment. He could hear movement in one of the other rooms before the small woman that was Izuku's mother stormed into the hallway and stared daggers at her son. "Izuku, " she spat at him, making him fidget under her gaze. She walked closer to him and scowled. "Where have you been?"

"I texted you mum, I was at work and I broke my phone..." he glanced at her eyes but quickly looked away as she glared at him.

"You're such a terrible son. Did you even think about me? Or my feelings? You left me here alone, anything could have happened to me, I could have died and you wouldn't have known, or even cared I bet." She started softly but grew into a shout, slowly moving into Izuku's personal space making him cringe away. He could smell the booze rolling off of her, getting stronger the closer she got and began to panic internally trying to move away from her.

"You really are an awful son, what did I ever do to deserve such a useless ungrateful boy. I put a roof over your head, food in your mouth and this is how you repay me? Staying out for days on end not even a message. You disgust me."

Izuku had backed up against the front door, his mother inches from his face. "I'm sorry mum.. I am..."

CRACK

A hand whipped across Izuku's face so hard his head turned sideways leaving a nasty red handprint on his cheek. He stared wide-eyed at his mother as she stormed off with a slight wobble, back to the living room, leaving Izuku in shock against the front door.