Chapter 5

"Fine." David sighs. "BUT. I'd have to help her." He sighs again. "She wouldn't tell me how or why. She gave me the key to the house and told me I'd be watched. I didn't understand, so I didn't think about it. That night, I had a dream. Did I normally have dreams? No.

"It was about this girl. She had Ebony Black hair, a dress that has a jagged hem. She has a broom in the beginning. She went sweeping this room. She looks out the window at some point, and it turns out we're in a tree. A door slams and she jumps back to her job. We see two sets of shredded black wings on her back, that match the color of her hair, and she winces every time she moves them. The red dress comes up to her knees, or a little above, and is sleeveless, showing a tattoo of a dark brown snake, slithering up her arm, venom dripping from its exposed fangs."

"I didn't know you were such a storyteller!" Daniel interrupts him, Getting glared at by his brother. David clears his throat and continues.

"A voice drifts down through the room making her jump again. "Having fun?" she doesn't answer and keeps sweeping. "I asked you a question. Will you answer it?" she looks out the doorway and out into a hallway. Where a man in matching green clothes looks at her waiting. She glares at him.

He has light brown hair, short. He's barefoot and has a small girl holding his hand. She switches her glare to his daughter. She comes up to his knees and is wearing a dress the same shade of forest green as her father. Ebony (That's her name) laughs as the daughter squeaks and hides behind him. The dress is too long for her, but she's also barefoot so she moves quickly to hide. He looks down at her and smiles, saying something to her that Ebony can't hear. She smiles up at him, and he squeezes her hand. Then he turns back to Ebony and frowns. "We'll be back. Stay here." They turn, and his iridescent single pair of wings flutter as he laughs. "Well. There's not anywhere else you can go! Silly me!" Ebony grimaces at his turned back, and shakes the broom at him, careful not to make noise.

Then she sits down at the window, leaning out. Seeing a window open below her, she quickly comes back inside. She looks around, seeing the room is swept, for now, turns and walks out the room, sweeping her way down the hall, until she comes to a large spiral staircase. She runs up them and immediately regrets it. Not only has she shaken her wings, but she's also has stubbed her toes. She shakes her head, sweeping her way back down the stairs. She sweeps all the dust and dirt, opens a small door in the wall, and throws it out, listening to the whiney

"Hey!" that drifts up to her. She smiles satisfied and goes back to the room she'd started out in. she looks back in the window, watching the sun sparkle off the shiny rocks, and a small pond. Another door slams, but she doesn't pay attention. Bad decision on her part, cause a second later; a shriek echoes bouncing off the walls.

"Ebonyyy!" She jumps up, swinging the broom. Then, seeing who it is, pulls it down quickly, looking down with it. A hand yanks the broom out of her grip and throws it across the room. It yanks her face up to where she's staring into the newcomer's eyes. "That's all of that, Thank you very much! Come, we need you downstairs." The tall lady nearly drags her down the halls and stairs to the bottom of the tree, and then underneath into the roots. The roots form a roof for a large classroom which is filled with children, and a few adults guarding the few doorways out. Most of the children are wearing green suits, depending on if their boy or girl, wear short skirts and long or short-sleeved shirt. Or, long-sleeved shirt and shorts.

They had been talking, waiting for the teacher to come back. The teacher, who had dragged Ebony down here, is the only women to wear pants and a short sleeved shirt. They're light brown, both pants, and shirt. They all stand and run to crowd the adults, who try to convince them that she's harmless. Ebony laughs at their fear, and they huddle more closely. They teacher spins her around, and grabs her shredded wings, making her howl. "Next they might come off!" She whispers to Ebony who struggles out of her hands, and tries to smooth her wings, but only succeeds in hurting herself more. Finally, seeing the scary one hurt, the children return to their seats. She hisses at them, much like the snake on her arm would have. The teacher ignores it and talks to the class. "Alright class, what are we going to talk about now?" she asks, waiting for a reply. One of the kids raises a hand uncertainly. "Yes, Oak?"

The Copperhead's Choiceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें