Reawakening

A new morning came about. It wasn't snowing, but it was still rather cloudy, and definitely still cold. Luckily, it was one of the warmer days. The winter was a cruel time of year; most plants were dead and many animals were asleep, awaiting spring, the much warmer and livelier season of harvest, to awake once more. That being said, there are still many creatures of all sorts that are awake and alive during the harsh and ruthless winter; such as humans, for example.

It was nine o'clock in the morning, everyone was up and about, sitting around the kitchen counter. In the kitchen Lucinda had prepared a small breakfast for everyone to start their morning. Eggs with bread and....beef jerky?

".....Lucinda?" Aphmau asked, poking at her beef jerky with a fork.
"Yeah?" Lucinda said, setting her plate down on the table, sitting down across from Aphmau.
"Why...is there beef jerky next to my eggs." Aphmau questioned, picking up the piece of beef jerky and raising an eyebrow.
"Yeah," Aaron said, taking a bite out of his toast. "I was actually wondering that too."
"Because the liquor store didn't have any other kind of meat product is why, and don't think for a second I was just going to feed everyone just EGGS and BREAD with nothing else! What kind of breakfast is that?" Lucinda answered.
"True, it's still kinda bizarre to me though...." Aphmau stated, grabbing her beef jerky and chewing on it.
"This whole place is bizarre...." Lucinda thought to herself.
"Too bad the liquor store wasn't one of those weird ones that sell like, sausages in a can or something." Garroth added.
"Actually you know what that's a thousand times worse than beef jerky." Aphmau responded, disgusted at the thought of eating canned sausages from a liquor store. Who knows how long they've been sitting there.
"So Aaron," Zane interrupted, getting up from his seat and going to put his plate in the kitchen sink. "What's the plan for today?"
"Well, today we're going to split up a little bit to get some more down around the lodge." Aaron answered, pushing his plate away, as he had finished eating. "Garroth and Kim are going to get a headstart on cleaning the library, and the rest of us are going to continue to clean the rooms on floor three."
"Why would a lodge have a library of all things?" Kim wondered aloud.
"A form of entertainment I guess? With how bad the winters are here, I don't think they'd want to add a pool of all things. This place was only a hotspot during spring anyways..." Aaron replied.
"Ughhhh....I wouldn't mind having to clean up any of those rooms if there weren't so many..." Zane whined.
"Trust me Zane, everyone here doesn't want to clean up all of those rooms either, but we have to do it. We might as well help out everybody else while we're stuck here." Aphmau said, picking up everyone's dirty dishes and took them to the sink.
"Hmph..."
"Everybody get ready, because once Aphmau is done washing the dishes we're all going back to work." Aaron announced, getting up from his seat and walked out of the kitchen.
"Well Kim, looks like it's you and me today! The dynamic duo!" Garroth said in glee.
"Sweet! But I've got to take off all of your bandages before we head out, your burns and any small cuts have pretty much healed! You're shoulder still needs some time though, but it's getting better to say the least." Kim stated.
"Aww darn....well, at least it's the last time I gotta wear these itchy bandages." Garroth mumbled, walking out of the kitchen with Kim.
"Tch, I wish I wasn't surprised that idiot got himself injured like that." Zane rolled his eyes, wondering just how dumb his brother could be.
"C'mon Zane, cut him some slack. Accidents happen no matter how dumb or smart you are." Aphmau said, grabbing a rag and drying her hands.
"True, but it's sorta common sense to not immediately start up a boiler that hasn't been touched for twenty years." Lucinda said.
"Yeahhh....." Aphmau reluctantly agreed.
"I swear that dumbass is going to get himself killed one of these days." Zane shook his head at the mere stupidity of his brother.
"Hm, well, I just finished the dishes, so we should probably get going now." Aphmau advised.
"Right." Lucinda and Zane replied in unison.

______________________________________________________________________________

Kim went to the waiting room to remove Garroth's bandages, as it was the most convenient place to be in case either of the two needed anything.