Chapter 8 - Nate

I've always believed in fate. I've always believed that no matter what kind of life you envision for yourself and work towards, the universe has its own ideas already set in stone. I also believe that the sooner you accept that, the better things get for you. That theory definitely seems to be working for me.

Because how the hell else is it that of all people to move in to the empty apartment next to mine, it's Delilah fucking Stevens?

I thought I was fucking hallucinating when I caught sight of flowy blonde hair in my peripheral vision, only to double-take when I got a good look at who it was. Completely oblivious to my gaping, Delilah was busy jamming a door-stopper in place to keep the apartment door open and didn't even see me standing in the hallway.

"Del?" I'd called out to her.

Her head snapped up at the sound of my voice and her brows came together as recognition lit her eyes. "Nate? I didn't know you were helping with the move, too."

"Move?" I'd repeated dumbly.

"Yeah. To my new place." She gestured an arm at the general area of the apartment. "Isn't that why you're here?"

"No. I, ah, I live here."

"Wait. Where?"

"Just next door to you. Right there." I pointed.

Her eyes grew to an almost comical size as she finally caught up with me. "You're teasing me, right? This is one of your jokes?"

I wasn't sure if that was my cue to take offence. "I'm dead serious, Del."

"But...how is that...what?"

"Small world?" I shrugged. Internally I'd been freaking the fuck out because how the hell was I supposed to go about living my life when I knew that Delilah would be next door to me the whole time?

"Nate!" Both of us turned at the sound of Cameron's voice who sauntered over with a large box in his hand. "Finally met your neighbour, huh?"

"You knew?" Despite Delilah's gentle tone, the accusation in it had been clear as day.

"As soon as you told me your address this morning I recognized it. I've been to Nate's crib a couple of times. I figured you'd see for yourself." Cameron blinked innocently but Del and I saw right through it.

"You could've given me a heads up, too." I added.

"What difference would it have made? Delilah already payed the rent so she's fucking living here regardless. You two need to stop walking on eggshells around each other." Cameron sighed, only to suddenly stop short and grin at me. "Hey. Now she really is the girl-next-door for you."

"Shut up." I muttered underneath my breath and chose to ignore Delilah's confused expression.

"What's going on?" That time it had been Jaxon who joined us, also carrying a couple of boxes stalked on top of one another. "Nate? What are you doing here?"

"He lives here." Cameron answered for me. "He's Del's neighbour."

"No shit?" Jaxon barked out a laugh that made me scowl. The fucker was a pretty stoic guy when he wasn't surrounded by his family and yet he was having a field day with what he stumbled upon. "This is fucking awesome. I have to text Em."

"Lovely." Delilah mumbled and stood up, dusting off her jeans. "I'm going to take a look inside. Thanks again for the help, you two."

With that, she turned swiftly on her heel and all but ran inside the apartment.

"What the hell?" I muttered to no one in particular.

"Enjoy, man." Jaxon paused. "Or not. Depends on how this goes."