Chapter 35 - Nate

"You ready for this?"

I shake out my hands as if my nerves will magically shoot out of my fingers and nod. A large breath leaves me as I bounce on the heels of my feet and I watch my opponent from across the ring. Today is important for a number of reasons. Not only am I facing Jaxon's long-time rival Ridge Sanders, but what I have planned after the match is something to be equally nervous about and I hope I don't become distracted while I fight.

"I'm ready." I answer Asher who grins and claps my shoulder.

"I know you are, brother."

I turn my head and look down at Jaxon who's standing by the ring and watching Sanders with narrowed eyes.

"You gonna lose your shit?" I call out to him. "The last time you faced him and won the seven million, you beat him so bad he was hospitalized for a month. Sorry to say it but you went too far, man."

"I know." He calls back reluctantly. "I was having a bad day."

I snort. That's an understatement. Emily being kidnapped was more than just a bad day for him. I've never seen him lose his mind like that when he turned into a scary motherfucker that had all of us shitting our pants.

"You should talk to him and find solid ground. He's a decent man now."

Jaxon jerks his head in a grudging nod. He knows just as well as I do how much Sanders has changed for the better in the past three years. Not only has he made his way to the top of the boxing industry and has become a beast of the sport, but he's well known for donating large amounts of the money he earns towards research for Down Syndrome after he had a daughter who was born with the condition. I look back over to him now as he leans over the ropes and talks animatedly at a phone screen that one of his buddies holds up for him. I squint and realize he's talking to his wife and daughter now, blowing a kiss at the screen and grinning wide.

"That's so fucking precious." Cameron sniffs.

I sigh deeply, pinching the bridge of my nose as he discreetly wipes the corners of his eyes.

"I swear you're on your period." Asher grumbles, eyeing him warily like he's contagious.

"Hey, man." Cam stands tall. "Fuck you. You know I'm sensitive."

"We don't have time for that." Coach enters the ring and uses his hand to shove Cameron's face away. I cough into my fist as Cameron's jaw drops and he gapes at Coach who blatantly ignores him.

"Head in the game?" Coach asks and I nod my confirmation. "Remember the strategies we went over and the plays we reviewed. You've been training for this match for two months and I've taught you a lot of new material in that time. It's still fresh so it won't come to you naturally as muscle memory like your other techniques so don't be discouraged if you falter or can't think of a next move. If you need a minute, step back and circle him like you're planning something and use that to stall while you figure it out."

"Got it." I blow out a breath. "I feel ready."

"Good because you are." He pats my back twice, hard. "Kick some ass, boy."

"You got it."

The guys step out of the ring and I make my way to the centre of the ring. Sanders joins me a moment later and holds his fist up. I bump it and we exchange respectful nods.

"How you been?" He asks.

"Can't complain." I shrug. "You?"

"Better than ever." His smile is wistful. It disappears a moment later when he flicks his eyes over my shoulder before meeting mine again. "I know I have no right to ask this but...can you ask Cage if I can speak with him after the match? I want to personally apologize to Emily for what happened. I feel responsible for not catching on to the fact that Tara was a fucking psycho and ignored her shady-ness. If I had said something earlier maybe that fucker wouldn't have kidnapped her. I just want her to know how much I regret my actions."