Epilogue - Delilah

"Shh!" I press a finger against Zack's lip when he starts to babble. "We need the element of surprise, Sweetness. You need to help Mama, okay?"

Zack closes his mouth and blinks up at me. I grin and kiss his check. He's such a good boy.

I leave him sitting on the bed for a few moments while I open the door of Nate's bedroom and take a peek over the staircase, making sure he's home. I spy him lounging shirtless on the couch with his feet propped on the table in front of him, looking sexy as hell without even trying. I don't even bother holding back my sigh — he's so freaking dreamy.

"Babe!" I call out to him, waving my arm to get his attention. He looks up and grins when our eyes meet, waving back. "Come here for a second."

He nods and stands up, making his way to the stairs. I close the door and leave it open just a crack before running back to Zack. I make sure his sweater is zipped up to hide his shirt underneath and double check the envelope under the pillow. I place Zack on my lap and try to look as casual as possible just when Nate walks in.

"Did you need something, love?" He bends his head when he reaches me to give me a sweet kiss that I return with a smile.

"Just wanted to give you something." I shrug, staying evasive.

He waggles his brows and his hands go to the hem of his track pants. "Better go and give Zack to someone for at least an hour."

"Not that, goof." I burst out laughing at the pout that turns down the corners of his mouth. "But you'll like this surprise just as much."

"Nothing is better than sex with you." He tells me so seriously that I have to roll my eyes.

I pull out the envelope from underneath his pillow and hand it to him. He takes it from me in obvious confusion and holds it up to the light to try and inspect what's inside. "What is it?"

"Funnily enough, there's a part of it that you can actually open to see what's inside."

"Smartass." He chuckles.

His fingers make quick work of ripping the side of the envelope and taking out the stiff sheet inside. I quietly open Zack's sweatshirt and keep my gaze on Nate while he reads the words. He inhales a soft breath, swallowing hard and practically burning a hole into the paper with his intense stare. When he looks at me, there's unshed tears in his eyes. Those tears only spill over when more gather as he reads Zack's sweatshirt. Another laugh puffs out of him and he flicks his eyes between Zack's shirt and what's in his hand like he can't decide which to focus on.

"When did you do this?" He asks gruffly.

I swallow back the emotions making my throat tight. His reaction was everything I hoped for and more. "The day we won custody against Chris. I cornered him before we left the firm and had him sign away his rights. I didn't want to waste another second and I know the process takes a few months anyways."

"Angel." He pulls in another breath, his voice raspy now. "I don't know what to say."

"That's okay." I smile and make Zack stand on his legs, keeping my hands on him to help him stay upright. I give him a playful shake to make it look like she's dancing and cheekily read aloud the words on his shirt. "Legal baby on board!"

Something between a laugh and a small cry leaves him as he stares down at the official adoption certificate that makes Nate Zack's father by law now. He's always been his dad but this feels like the missing piece we needed to click in place.

"Ah, fuck." He quickly swipes at his eyes and joins us on the bed. He pulls Zack onto his lap and kisses his cheek, his gaze going soft. "No getting rid of me now huh, little man?"