Chapter-8: Crush Embarrassment

|| Arabella ||

"Stop, stop!" I hollered, throwing myself in front of the red Aston Martin in the building garage.

The car came to a screeching stop. "I know you are eager to die, but don't do it in front of my car. Go jump off the balcony or something," Theo shouted after rolling down the window of his side.

"If I wanted to kill myself, I'd mix poison in my coffee just like I did with yours," I shot back.

"What?" he exclaimed in disbelief.

I rolled my eyes and hurriedly ran to the passenger side of his car. "I will give you the antidote if you let me in."

"And what alcohol in your system makes you think I would do that?" he retorted, starting to fix his black hair in the rearview mirror inside.

"Like I said, the antidote. You are dying in about," I looked down at my wristwatch to check the time that was left for my class and said, "Thirteen minutes."

"Then you should give the antidote to Wyatt 'cause I swapped my coffee with him just in case," he replied smugly.

I scowled at him. "Oh, c'mon! You know that I want a ride because I am late, so stop being a prick."

"You shouldn't have been late in the first place."

"Whose brilliant idea was it to prank call Wyatt and make him go to Coral's house to pick her up?" I pointed out.

"Well, my idea was flawless," he smirked, "And this is a part of it."

Of course, he knew that Wyatt had been dropping me off at school since last week. So without him, I would be late. This annoying jerk...

I wanted to grab the idling rod that was lying nearby and swing it on his car's window and see the look of his dad when he found out. But I convinced myself with all my willpower that I wouldn't do it.

"Theo, you are always a jerk. How about you take today off?" I suggested, fed-up.

"Sounds nice, but no." Theo flashed me a mock smile.

He only pressed the accelerator when I yelled, "I didn't feed Clover!" If I knew Theo's one weakness, it was his cat. He loved that orange beast. The only time Theo smiles like a normal person, it's when he's talking to Clover—as weird as it was.

As expected, Theo pulled the brake instantly and asked, "What, really?"

"Yep." It was a lie. I did feed that monster, even though it tried to gouge my eyes out like usual.

"You had one job, Annabelle. One job," Theo lamented. He took off his seatbelt and was about to open the door. My eyes almost sparkled at the upcoming opportunity. Unfortunately, he paused and turned back to look at my face. He pointed his index finger at me and warned, "I swear if this is a lie..."

I was so close to fooling him...

"What worse can happen if it's a lie? I get in your car, that's it. But what if it's not? Poor Clovy could be starving and she might die," I exaggerated.

He sighed, understanding that it was a bluff. Just then the door unlocked. "Hop in," he said in defeat and I happily got in. "The precious time I wasted talking to you, I could have been walking down the hallway at school by now."

"Your loss," I remarked and put on the seatbelt before Theo started driving. "So how about this, every day you give me a ride without any argument? It will save both of us sometime." Though it was more fun with Wyatt since we didn't argue and had more of an actual interesting conversation, his class schedules were different from mine since he was a senior.