Chapter-20: Green Week

|| Arabella ||

After a few days and one more date with each other, Coral finally worked up the courage to talk to Wyatt about her commitment issues.

Theo and I were anxiously eating our lunch at the cafeteria while Coral and Wyatt were talking in the school garden. We weren't this nervous even when Wyatt's SAT results were coming out. Like he wanted, he scored 1510, by the way.

I chewed on the straw of my chocolate shake and mumbled, "Wyatt will be cool with it, right?"

"How do I know?" Theo asserted.

"He's your cousin. You should know," I hissed.

"Well, he's your roommate too—"

"What's going on? Why are those two sitting together?"

"Must be a dare, otherwise, they can't even tolerate each other."

A few students gossiped right behind us, as if magically expecting us not to hear. But as always, rumors never bothered me, and the same goes for Theo.

Still, Theo and I usually didn't sit together at lunch, but today, due to our combined mission, we were waiting out together, instead of our regular friends' group table. We couldn't blame people for being surprised.

After a few minutes, Wyatt entered the cafeteria with Coral behind him. Coral went straight to our girl friends' while Wyatt came to us and slumped on the chair beside me.

He was silent for a whole minute, which had got me and Theo twitching in our seats.

As Wyatt continued to be quiet, Theo finally broke out, "Wyatt, if you didn't notice, we are waiting for you to speak."

Wyatt chugged down Theo's coke in response.

"Hey!" Theo protested. I laughed shortly, rubbing Wyatt's back. His throat must have been parched.

Taking a deep breath, Wyatt finally started, "I just— I'm just so flattered. Coral likes me back."

I clapped excitedly as if I already didn't know that.

"But—"

"Ugh, I hate this 'but'," Theo groaned.

"She told me about her commitment issues just now, and the reasons behind it," Wyatt shared.

Theo and I exchanged looks, urging Wyatt to continue.

He let out a sigh in defeat. "I like her, I like her a lot. I honestly can't believe that she likes me back. But I don't know what to do about this issue. I mean, of course, I'm not judging her. But how can I make it better? How can I help her with it? I don't know."

I smiled and gave his shoulder a squeeze. "You're very nice, you know that?"

Wyatt gave me a small smile.

Theo leaned back on his chair and casually said, "Bro, if I were you, I would already be marking my territory around her."

Wyatt raised an eyebrow. "How do I do that?"

"You know the trick, man. Just make everyone see that you are hers," Theo simplified, and Wyatt nodded his head.

"I think I understand now." With that, Wyatt got up.

"I still don't understand," I murmured once he left.

Theo smirked. "You will see."

I rolled my eyes and nonchalantly started eating fries from his tray. He glared at me but didn't slap away my hand, letting me finish his leftovers.