Chapter-22: More Connected

|| Arabella ||

I had never scrubbed my hair harder than this day. I shampooed my hair again and again until the neon green color came off.

It was the day of Thanksgiving. I didn't want to look like a broccoli. Apparently, Theo and Wyatt shared the same feeling.

Also, it was decided that the dinner would take place at our apartment.

At the moment, Wyatt was out to meet Coral and to give her support since she was going to have dinner with her not-so-great dad. Ian would drop by around three.

So, Theo and I were chatting about random things while preparing the feast.

"You know, you could seriously consider being a sous-chef," I said.

"What makes you think I would want to be under you?" Theo retorted.

"Just the fact that we make a great team," I chimed. "I mean, think about it. We made Wyatt and Coral almost a couple, and we work so great in the kitchen together."

"Would be ironic if we were soulmates," he said in the midst of sliding some tomatoes.

"But I don't believe in soulmates," I said while dressing the dessert salad.

"Really? That's shocking. I thought you were one of those girls who dreamed of getting married to their soulmate with doves, rainbows, and unicorns."

I chuckled. "I'll be happy with a simple wedding."

"Setting aside the unicorns, doesn't every girl have a dream wedding?"

"Yeah. But as I grew up I realized that's such a waste of money. I would be happier making a donation or saving up for my kids in the future with that money."

"You're starting to sound more and more like my dream g—" Just then the microwave tinged.

Once I took out the turkey, I asked, "You were saying?"

"Nothing."

I gave him a confused look but didn't ask more. As I started to garnish the turkey, I realized that I had used up all the fruits.

"Shall I go buy some?" Theo offered.

"That would be great. Thanks." I took up Theo's part while he went to grab his jacket and left the apartment.

I was working diligently when the calling bell rang up.

"Did Ian come early?" I checked the time to find it was only half-past two. I wiped my hands on my apron and rushed to get to the door.

From the peephole camera, I saw it was a beautiful sand blonde woman in her early forties.

I opened the door with a smile and asked, "Hello. How can I help you?"

"Who are you?" she asked rudely.

"Uh, I'm Arabella."

She looked oddly familiar. Her face resembled someone I knew, but I couldn't put my finger on that person. "And what are you doing here?"

"I live here." I hesitated to open the door widely, but she pushed her way in.

"What? Now he's living with a high schooler? I can't believe this! Once a cheater, always a cheater!" she yelled.

What the hell is she talking about?

"Um, if you don't mind me asking, who are you?"

"I'm the wife of the person who owns this apartment, Skylar!"