Chapter-23: Avoiding

|| Arabella ||

I listened to Theo intently as he poured his heart out on the rooftop, telling me about his childhood. I loved listening to him. No, I didn't enjoy his horrible memories, but they were a part of him and I accepted those wholeheartedly.

Because whatever that happened in his past made him into the person he was today. A mild jerk, yes. But also a good-hearted person. The biggest proof behind that was, whenever a beggar knocked on the windshield, he would always make donations. At first, I used to think it was because he had too much money to throw around. But gradually, I realized those gestures were from the bottom of his heart.

He knew how to stand up for his closed ones and would go to any lengths to protect them in his own way. He was well aware of his limits and boundaries. He would never intentionally pull a prank that would hurt someone.

He told me that he apparently used to have depression and suicidal tendencies. He said he was over it, but he still has a hard time talking about it. He still saw his psychiatrist every year. I wondered if that was the reason I always felt like he had walls around him and he would never let anyone in it.

But he let me in.

Why?

I kept wondering all night. I laid on my bed, wide awake, thinking about Theo until the sun rays were already hitting my face.

I sat up on my bed, running a hand through my hair. I couldn't believe I spent my entire night just thinking about Theo.

I got up and went to the kitchen to get some water. I found a familiar figure inside trying to make the coffee maker work.

"Wyatt, what are you doing?" I asked.

Wyatt turned around and gave me an exasperated look. "Apparently, making coffee is harder than making pizza."

I shook my head, chuckling. "That's because you don't know how to use the coffee maker." I set up the machine and pressed the button. "That's how you use it."

"Oh, I can do it next time," he said confidently.

"Just don't end up wrecking it," I warned and opened the refrigerator. "Why are you awake so early? You're never up before six."

"So much happened yesterday. I just couldn't fall asleep after that," he replied.

I hummed in response and drank my water. "So how's it going with you and Coral?"

Wyatt smiled at the mention of Coral. "I think I'm starting to fall in love with her."

"What? Oh, my God! That's so great! Congratulations!" I cheered and gave him an excited hug.

"Thanks."

"What made you realize that all of a sudden?" I asked, pulling apart from the hug.

A blush adorned his pale cheeks as he averted his eyes. "Last night, when she came running to me after I told her about my mom's unexpected visit. The moment she burst in through that door, I realized I had fallen for her."

"That's so cute. I'm so happy for you," I gushed.

"Yeah." His smile faded a little as he mumbled, "But I don't think she reciprocates that. I mean, it's too soon for her, I guess."

I hummed. "Maybe. But you can wait till she falls in love with you. And trust me, when she does, she will introduce you as her boyfriend."

"You think?" he asked with a puppy look.

"I'm sure," I affirmed.

His smile returned once again. "I can't wait for that day."

"Me neither."