Chapter-16: The Ouija Board

|| Arabella ||

"... so if you place your hand on that ouija board, all sorts of misfortune will befall on you according to its predictions. Chances are that you might not even make it out alive if it spells out 'death'—"

"Theo, stop creeping me out!" I pressed my palms on my ears to block out Theo's creepy voice as he followed me around the living room.

"I'm only saying it for your own good. You shouldn't go wandering around the campus. Who knows where the ouija board might appear under your hand and—"

"Wyatt, tell Theo to shut up!" I hollered.

"Will you two shut up and let me get ready in peace?" Wyatt hollered back from his room.

"But Theo is disturbing me!" I complained.

"No, I'm being a good person who is warning his roommate about the upcoming dangers," he protested.

"No one wants your goodness." I puffed my cheeks and plopped down on the beanbag.

"Alright, don't say I didn't warn you later."

"Never."

Theo and I were already dressed up in our respective Halloween costumes. I was wearing a yellow top attached with Pikachu's tail at the hem and a black short ruffle skirt with yellow socks and black ankle boots that I borrowed from Coral. Of course, I had the Pikachu headband and the red cheeks on.

I looked cute, I knew that much—as much as Theo insisted that I looked shorter than usual. However, Theo, on the other hand...

"You look dorky," I tittered. In short, Ash's outfit didn't suit him very much.

Theo frowned. "No one asked for your opinion, Pikachu. Go back to doing pika-pika."

"I'll use my thunderbolt on you," I warned and crossed my legs smugly.

He rolled his eyes. "As I was saying, beware of the ouija—"

"Shut it, will you?"

We bickered some more before the calling bell rang up. I got up to open it, thinking it was one of the kids from the apartment trick-or-treating. I opened the door but found no one. "Hello, kids?"

Just then someone jumped out of nowhere in front of me, giving me a big scare.

"Spooky Halloween!" Coral beamed, swinging her broom enthusiastically.

I glared at her. "Thanks for making my heart jump out of my chest, little witch," I greeted flatly and let her in.

"Happy Halloween, Mr. Ketchum," she wished Theo, gracefully taking her witch hat off with a bow.

"Happy Halloween. Good job on the jumpscare," he said and high-fived her.

"You guys planned it?" I asked in disbelief.

"No, Mr. Ketchum wanted to do it himself but his outfit was too lame to be spooky," Coral explained. I suppressed my laughter as she kept referring to him as Mr. Ketchum purposefully, just like I had instructed her.

"Yeah. Um, Coral, can you not call me by Ash's last name? It sounds like ketchup," Theo let out.

"Why, Mr. Ketchum? I find your surname to be very interesting. I was even thinking of naming one of my secret techniques after it," Coral said innocently.

"Then, I must say, either you have a weird, horrible naming sense, or your techniques have something to do with ketchup," Theo responded, and I started cackling.