Chapter-18: Ship Names

|| Arabella ||

"Do you have work today?" Theo asked me when I came out of my last class for the day.

"No," I replied, giving him a suspicious look. "Why?"

"Just thought we could go home together," he said with a shrug.

I observed his poker face for a moment before letting my guard down. "Well, I can't go home until late. Wyatt's friends are coming over today, so I am planning to stay in the library and get some studying done." I couldn't be seen by Wyatt's friends; it might start unwanted rumors at school. Also, we were putting a hold on our cupid plans until Wyatt's SATs were over.

"Oh, right."

As I started walking towards the library, Theo followed me. "Why are you following me?"

"I feel like studying too," he replied casually.

"Why?"

"Because you're not the only one who has to pass the semester," he deadpanned, and I rolled my eyes. "Plus, it's good to be a nerd once in a while "

I scoffed. "You're in the football club. You can't be a jock and nerd at the same time."

"Says who?"

"Says Annabelle."

"Did you just call yourself Annabelle?" he asked, trying to stifle his laugh, while I cursed myself for my stupid slip of the tongue.

"It's your fault," I grumbled and opened the library doors.

As usual, the library was mostly empty, with only a few chairs occupied by the regulars. Coral was supposed to join me, but she ditched me for some club activities.

I placed my bag on the corner table and sat down. I glared at Theo as he pulled out the chair beside me, but he paid me no heed and continued to sit anyway.

I decided to ignore him and took out my textbooks. He didn't say anything either and followed my movement, starting on some advanced math that I was pretty sure wasn't in our syllabus.

"You really do love this crap, huh," I commented after a few minutes.

"It's fun," he replied simply.

I scrutinized his notepad, trying to decipher the numbers written in his cursive handwriting. "How is it fun?"

He twitched his lips and said, "Honestly, I can't explain. I just love it."

I nodded in understanding. "I can respect that," I said with a shrug, and he chuckled faintly. "But that doesn't mean I'll start liking it."

"Well, what's the fun in you and I liking the same thing?"

"We are fans of the same footballer," I pointed out.

"Good point."

We both fell quiet after that, not knowing what else to say. Though I had my textbook spread out in front of me, I didn't feel like studying anymore.

I wanted to keep talking to Theo. I wanted to listen to him like he did with me a few days during Halloween.

I gripped my pen, pretending to seem like I was writing something, and said, "Hey, have you thought of a ship name for Wyatt and Coral?"

"I don't know. Wyatt's name is weird," he replied mindlessly.

I slapped his arm playfully. "Don't say it like that. Your name isn't too great either."

"Well, as long as I like it, it doesn't matter who doesn't," he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Yeah, okay, mister." I rolled my eyes. "Let's think of a ship name for them," I urged.