Chapter-35: Slave Boyfriend

|| Arabella ||

As sad as it made me to admit, winter vacation was over.

The school was in session again with its new painful semester. I had already started on my part-time job after New Year's Eve since I had taken a week off from Christmas until then.

Right now, Theo and I were having lunch together in the cafeteria while our friends sat on the tables around us.

"I saw this Math Olympiad notice on the bulletin," Theo said.

"Don't tell me you're planning to participate in it. You have AIME coming up next month," I reminded.

AIME was a national math examination, and to qualify for that, one had to pass the American Mathematics Competition, in short AMC. I heard it's tough shit to qualify in AMC, but Theo did it, and I was proud of him.

"I know, I know. But I think it will be a good warm-up before AIME," Theo reasoned.

"Are you sure?" I asked, and he nodded firmly. "Best of luck then." I gave him an encouraging smile which made him smile as well.

"I gotta tell the other mathletes and take days off from my football practice," he said.

"It will forever be a mystery to me as to how you are still on the team when you cut so many days of practice," I commented while sipping my frappe.

He playfully winked at me and said, "I've my ways."

I rolled my eyes and asked, "So did anyone else from your mathletes club pass the AMC?"

"One other girl did. She's a good friend of mine," he said casually.

"Oh, a girl." I got an unpleasant feeling in my stomach, but I pushed it down instantly. "That's cool. What's her name?"

"I told you about her. It's Rose."

"Ah, right, I remember now."

If I remembered correctly, Rose was a nice girl and she had a crush on Theo. She and I had physics class together. But... she was very pretty for a nerd. Well, I guess my boyfriend too was a nerd but hot. To be honest, they would be perfect together. They both loved math.

"Enough about me. Tell me about your cooking club," Theo said, and I smiled at him.

So silly of me.

Why was I even thinking about Rose and Theo? There was nothing to worry about. Theo only liked me, and his actions were enough proof of that.

After lunch, we went our separate ways to finish the afternoon classes and club activities. Once my club was over, I went to the Mathletes club room to get Theo.

I found Theo and his teammates involved in what seemed like a math marathon.

Theo seemed pretty indulged. His eyes were zeroed in on his paper, his bottom lip pursed in between his teeth while his hands were moving at lightning speed. God, why did he have to be so hot?

All I wanted was to just walk right in and kiss him.

Instead, I chose to stand by the door and admire him for a few minutes.

I was completely lost in him until a pretty black-haired girl came into the picture. She leaned over Theo's desk, taking a look at his paper. Her arms were brushing with his.

"Why is she leaning so close?" I muttered.

My eyes instantly widened at what I just uttered.

I shook my head and murmured to myself, "Theo is busy. I should leave." I sent him a text that I was heading to my workplace alone.