Part 21

Chapter 21 — An Old Story.

🍓

When the robbery occurred fifteen years ago, Yu Yan had just turned fifteen.

That day, one of her classmates visited her home and brought over a matcha cake for her, reportedly Berrika's newest creation.

At that time, Berrika was the newest cake shop to open in A City and was quite popular amongst the high school girls.

Yu Yan had been in the kitchen, slicing up the cake. She then specifically called for her mother to come over and have a taste. Yu Yi just happened to be heading upstairs at that time. When Yu Yan saw him, she smiled and said, "My classmate brought over a cake. Do you want to try some?"

Yu Yi glanced at the cake on the table and saw that the outer appearance was not bad. His lips twitched minutely, but he did not reply. Mother Yu, as expected, prodded, "Yu Yi, how can you possibly like eating this?"

Yu Yan looked at Yu Yi and disagreed, saying "His expression obviously says that he wants to eat some."

Mother Yu poked Yu Yan's forehead. "Don't joke, Yan'er. Your younger brother doesn't like these things." To Mother Yu, Yu Yi would only like the most delicate and elegant Western-style culinary dishes.

Yu Yan puffed out her cheeks but continued to look at Yu Yi. "Do you really not want to eat some?"

"Mn," Yu Yi faintly agreed, his gaze sweeping over the matcha cake for one final glance before he turned around and went upstairs.

At this point in the story, Yu Xin's lips rose into a vacant smile. "He actually wanted to eat it very much. After all, he brimmed with love for desserts. I know this better than anyone else." He turned to face Tang Mi, a light laugh spilling from his mouth. "He even entered the Culinary World; shouldn't that demonstrate how deep his love is?"

Tang Mi: "..."

She licked her somewhat chapped lips and asked, "After that?"

Yu Xin narrowed his eyes slightly. "Ever since Yu Yan was a child, she extremely adored Yu Yi, this younger brother of hers. With their parents always being very busy, Yu Yi was basically under her care. She firmly believed that Yu Yi wanted to eat the cake, so she deliberately went to Berrika to buy another one." Yu Xin took a breath here. "Next to Berrika was a jewelry store. That day, an armed robbery incident broke out."

Tang Mi's eyes widened slightly. Although she had already found out about this event online, hearing about it now still caused her heart to be overwhelmed with shock.

"If, at that time, Yu Yi was capable of perceiving his own feelings, or perhaps be a bit more open, then the following event would simply never have happened. When the police notified the relevant family members to claim their deceased relative, Yu Yi insisted on going as well. He seemed to suffer an extreme psychological shock upon seeing Yu Yan's dead body. After returning home, he was waylaid by an unceasing fever. Only after he recovered did I appear."

Yu Xin's lips quirked. In his eyes, a hint of a smile drifted restlessly. "According to his primary doctor, I replaced his older sister. I could perceive his heart more acutely than anyone else and would then help him do whatever he truly wanted. In the end, however, this was not because he missed his older sister; rather, this was because he felt guilty for her death."

He slowly leaned closer to Tang Mi, deliberately lowering his voice—yet it did not have the usual trace of charm "Using his body like this, all consequences will fall under his responsibility. This way, he does not need to worry about involving others. For example...the one to die back then would not have been Yu Yan; it would've been him."